Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It`s along the same line as humans we`re supposed to eat (preferably raw) fruit and veggies 1 hour before or 4 hours after any meats, grains, etc because of different digestion rates. However there are `no issues` there is optimal absorbency when consumed `properly`.
that doesn't make since to me, sorry, but even different meats, bone, fat, ect all have different absorbency and digestion rates. I have never even seen this mentioned in anything I have read.. interesting though

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
Lol yes cause I clearly said its impossible to have dogs survive to old age and good health with kibble.... *roll eyes*
No you inferred that dogs live longer on a raw food diet and I felt a need to clarify that people who choose kibble aren't necessarily consigning their pet to a premature death

And if you keep rolling your eyes like that, you'll give yourself a headache

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252

Last edited by marie; 01-23-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I can't quite agree with that being from RAW diet, people who also switch to a high quality kibble, report the same things. I think it is from moving from crap to good stuff weather it be raw or kibble.

Steve
Hehe I couldn't agree with it either.

I still have to say that the biggest factor in a healthy, shiny coat is fresh air and exercise. I can tell always which dogs belong to the elderly and the shut-ins

300g tank
Old 01-23-2010, 03:46 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Hehe I couldn't agree with it either.

I still have to say that the biggest factor in a healthy, shiny coat is fresh air and exercise. I can tell always which dogs belong to the elderly and the shut-ins
ya the clean ones
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
ya the clean ones
There's nothing wrong with the smell of good honest dirt...and ditch slime.

300g tank
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

The point to feeding, or not feeding raw with kibble is that it's suggested that if you feed kibble, then raw on top of it, the raw gets "backed up", allowing harmful bacteria to develop. Not so much about absorbtion rates.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I can't quite agree with that being from RAW diet, people who also switch to a high quality kibble, report the same things. I think it is from moving from crap to good stuff weather it be raw or kibble.

Steve
Steve, my observations are when switching from the high qualiy kibble to raw, so for me there is that "next level". Before I started raw though, I had people stop me at the lake to ask what I feed my dogs, because they were so much shinier than their dog. Most people would then make some comment about my kibble choice being so expensive, etc....
Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Nanoized is on a distinguished road

I considered the BARF diet, but with young kids around and potential health risks and questionable benefits I decided to buy a quality commercial dog food.

http://www.workingdogs.com/vcbarf.htm

Last edited by Nanoized; 01-23-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Seeing as we are all self-assumed "professionals" on the subject this thread will go around in circles unless by some coincidence a canine nutritionist pops by.

Steve, you can find a tonne of information if you Google "fruit on empty stomach". Of course you will find all sorts of varying information on the internet (like any other topic these days). I see I did say fruits and veggies...it's just fruits. I didn't mean to put veggies there. My thoughts are not with the forums these days...

For the record, when I fed raw I used a "Prey Model + brown rice" diet, not BARF (Bones And Raw Food- raw food being small amount of fruits and veggies, but still no grains or carbs). Some people will also do BARF + brown rice, or just Prey Model. I found my dog needed some carbs to burn off (I chose cooked brown rice) or she would become too lean on the raw diet (read: very skinny).

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-23-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Seeing as we are all self-assumed "professionals" on the subject this thread will go around in circles unless by some coincidence a canine nutritionist pops by.
I'm looking for an online course, hopefully I can be a "pro" real soon

Hopefully the theme of my comments comes through, in that feeding raw is a personal choice, AFTER one has done lots of research and comes to their own conclusions. And since thoughts and opinions vary widely, one needs to accept that what they might believe today is certainly up for review tomorrow.
Everyone should do what they feel is best for their dog, and if their is any doubt, keep researching to fine tune your choice.

The differing opinions in this thread are great, it gives anyone interested lots of sides to look at.