Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaningen View Post
Mandarin gobies are a great option as well if you get them onto frozen food, i have personally got 2 in my tank both eating frozen.
Personally I would go not with a madarin. Reason is that the chances of you getting to take frozen or pellet food is very slim, and a Nano just doesn't give it enough space to feed. It would soon run out of pods and such, then starve. These fish are meant more for larger systems with lots of rock and refuges to populate its food supply.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edikpok View Post
my livestock in a 29g biocube:

mated pair of black clownfish
yellow wrasse
mated pair of bangaii cardinal
mated pair of shrimps

I wouldn't recommned more than this in a 30g tank. Many people here will claim that I am over-stocked too..... I would start with clowns and damsels as the Magent suggested
I agree with you, size is a restriction to what you can have for species, but also for numbers. I started with a 28 JBJ, and did everything possible to maximize my fish population, but again size just has restrictions. For a healthy tank and happy fish, keep the numbers down, but have some nice fish.

Maybe look at:
- six line wrasse
- coris wrasse
- flame angel (very nice and would work in this tank, but if you have coral, you do take a chance of it nipping at it)
- 2 purple firefish
- 2 bangaii cardinals

having all of the above again will push things, but should be fine if you keep on top of things. If you were to remove some, I would maybe go with the above without the purpe firefish.

Six line wrasses are beautiful, they have crazy eyes that show alot of personality. I loved mine, but he got sucked into a skimmer when moved to my bigger tank. Poor guy, he was one of my favorites.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 AM

Starry is on a distinguished road

Cant go wrong with 3-4 blue/green chromises...not only are they pretty fish, they school. That, and a pair of clowns should give your tank lots of activity.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 AM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've got a coral beauty, a royal gramma, a cleaner shrimp and a tomato clown in my 27 gallon FOWLR. I reckon I'm probably on the limit of what I can keep in there now.

As someone mentioned before the coral beauty may nip at corals if you have them, but she's good to watch - great colours and always on the move. She also does quite a good job on algae control, always nibbling at it.

The royal gramma is pretty entertaining - always hanging around at crazy angles.. He was a little shy at first but now he's out and about most of the time..

The tomato clown is full of character and I've become quite attached to him. However, in hindsight I'd maybe not go for the tomato clown again as he's really territorial and goes for the others occasionally (except the shrimp oddly enough). The coral beauty gets the brunt of it because he can't even get close to catching the gramma. He'll also go for my hand when I do tank maintenance - usually just makes you jump, but he's drawn blood once or twice!

Hope this helps you out.
Rob.