Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-28-2009, 12:27 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Filter out Phosphates, regardless what test is showing, your live rock and sand is a phosphate storage, you may read low in the water column but that doesn't mean actual phos are low, if you have algae that usually means you have phosphates.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:46 AM

ZachAttack is on a distinguished road

Hey man, the red slime is probably a bacteria called cyano, and isn't in fact an algae. You can go to any local pet store and ask about it, they should have a powder that you dose the tank with (will cost about $10) and it should kill off the bacteria within 48 hours, unless it is really bad and it will take two times that long. I had the same problem and this cured it really well. The red stuff will die and turn brown and if you have snails they'll clean the dead stuff up. Hope this works for you, let me know.

And oh yeah, if you are using flake food, then the cyano is prolly a sign that you are over feeding.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM

Blakes Living Reef.ca is on a distinguished road
Default This has worked for my system

You have a cyno bacteria which will take over your tank and may harm your corals. Your live rock and sand(?) are more than likely saturated with phosphates. You need to remove all of your live rock/sand and place them in a covered, heated tube for a period of 3-4 weeks (or more) with a small skimmer or water changes (every 2-3 days). This will allow your rock/sand to re-cure. Clean your rock first (toothbrush works great) and re-clean at each water change. Only place back into your main tank when water stays clean, rock smells and looks right. This sounds drastic but just adding chemicals is wrong! You have to find the source of the phosphates and eliminate them (overfeeding/overstocking). I have found adding a Phosphate Reactor to the system along with good Reverse Osmosis water will prevent further issues.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 PM

ZachAttack is on a distinguished road
Default re

yeah, that would work too. But more likely than not you are simply over feeding. That's what happened to me.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Yes we have discovered that it was an over feeding problen. I have a few corals that like to be feed and have had recieved some bad info about a few other that don't need to be target feed. So now I am only target feeding a couple of my coral that close over the food right away and eat it all and not the rest. going to check phos levels again tonight and have ordered some Zeovit Coral Snow. Removed all the red algae ( was not slimy) peeled of in a fine sheet, small piece's that I could see and get to. As I have a 155 with about 80 lbs of sand and about 100 lbs of rock removing it all to clean and kure again is not really an option right now.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakes Living Reef.ca View Post
You have a cyno bacteria which will take over your tank and may harm your corals. Your live rock and sand(?) are more than likely saturated with phosphates. You need to remove all of your live rock/sand and place them in a covered, heated tube for a period of 3-4 weeks (or more) with a small skimmer or water changes (every 2-3 days). This will allow your rock/sand to re-cure. Clean your rock first (toothbrush works great) and re-clean at each water change. Only place back into your main tank when water stays clean, rock smells and looks right. This sounds drastic but just adding chemicals is wrong! You have to find the source of the phosphates and eliminate them (overfeeding/overstocking). I have found adding a Phosphate Reactor to the system along with good Reverse Osmosis water will prevent further issues.
I have a whole house RO system (massive $$$) Water quality better then store bought. I think I will invest in a reactor. Got any sugestions on what to get?

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 PM

saswislop is on a distinguished road

Idea though is get a good overall flow, not blasting it all out of one or two nozzles.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 AM

Blakes Living Reef.ca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
I have a whole house RO system (massive $$$) Water quality better then store bought. I think I will invest in a reactor. Got any sugestions on what to get?
I use Two Little Fishies PhosPhate Reactor 550 with their PhosBan Media on my 140 gallon with great success. They also have a smaller unit , PhosPhate Reactor 150.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saswislop View Post
Idea though is get a good overall flow, not blasting it all out of one or two nozzles.
I have 4 sprayer bar's run off a 1100 gph little giant pump and 4 1300 gph powerheads. All pushing in a different direction.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 12-29-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakes Living Reef.ca View Post
I use Two Little Fishies PhosPhate Reactor 550 with their PhosBan Media on my 140 gallon with great success. They also have a smaller unit , PhosPhate Reactor 150.
Do you run then from your sump or out of the main display tank?

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner