Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
totally agree. I hate them now, all they do is mess everything up and pull frags off of the rockwork that you just mounted. imo the jackass's of the hobby
Love my emerald, hes about 2 inches across and perhaps the biggest reason there's no pest algae on any of my zoa colonies. Also love my urchin, don't even have to frag my zoas any more I just take them off the little pin cushion. If we expanded this to any animal you shouldn't put in a reef then I would have to say a red corris wrasse, the one I had was satan spawn.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:30 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
emerald crabs!

Ok, you need to have an explanation, as I will never have a tank with out a couple emeralds

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Love my emerald, hes about 2 inches across and perhaps the biggest reason there's no pest algae on any of my zoa colonies. Also love my urchin, don't even have to frag my zoas any more I just take them off the little pin cushion. If we expanded this to any animal you shouldn't put in a reef then I would have to say a red corris wrasse, the one I had was satan spawn.
can our emerald crabs meet so that yours can tell mine the how to actually take car of a tank
Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 AM

Ellie_A is on a distinguished road

We have 3 bumble bees in our 75 with 2 clams and many corals. No issue at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporize View Post
Anybody have any "sexy dancing shrimp" plagues? (I haven't just wondering)

bumble bee snail is a must not - eats clams and soft corals

Tiger Cowre is also a no no, it eats hair algae when it's small but will start to eat corals when it gets larger, I know it ate my GSP for sure.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 AM

fiorano is on a distinguished road

i have an emerald that is 2 inches across as well and he has never caused me any problems what so ever. but im with ll the people who are against hermits i hated mine cause they just kept eating all my snails. so now they're slowly disappearing as they become mantis food haha. i would also never buy an urchin again as i am against gluing all my corals and rocks together and they seem to never like my style of aquascaping and think it should all be bulldozed to the ground
Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 AM

Ellie_A is on a distinguished road

I agree that it seems as though inverts are hit and miss. I have had a halloween hermit for over a year and I love him. He never bothers anything and is always eating algae, the other hermits occasionally eat snails, but he's an angel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoniumJoe View Post
I had two halloween hermits that got very big and aggressive. They both killed my counches and stole their shells. One went back to the LFS the other met his match with a blue legged hermit with a killer right hook.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
So what I've read out of this thread is that these critters seem to all behave differently in everyone's tanks (no surprise I guess) :-) Just like that "hit-and-miss" fish (aka, flame angel, etc..). You can never know for sure how they will behave in your tank. Save for a mantis shrimp incident a long time ago, I haven't had any problems with any inverts that I have purposefully put in my tank. In fact, I love inverts and how they interact with one another. My list includes starfish (red reef, lenckia), an urchin, an army of hermits, 4 skunk cleaners, 2 fire shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, 3 sexy shrimp, acro crabs, a Porcelain crab, snails of various sorts. Heck, I even enjoy just sitting there watching abalone craw across rock work. I know I'm weird like that. Those little buggers are amazingly fast though... sometimes I think they race.
Im like you Kien.....I have a plethora of inverts in the tank....no shrimp anymore as my mystery wrasse finds them tasty....two tuxedo urchins, two fromia stars(Kien if your star is red, it is actually a fromia star, not a linkia....commonly mislabeled) pom pom crab(seen it once in a year), a bunch of different hermies,and an assortment of snails.....I just think crabs are to cool not to have in my reef, so I accept them for what they are.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Im like you Kien.....I have a plethora of inverts in the tank....no shrimp anymore as my mystery wrasse finds them tasty....two tuxedo urchins, two fromia stars(Kien if your star is red, it is actually a fromia star, not a linkia....commonly mislabeled) pom pom crab(seen it once in a year), a bunch of different hermies,and an assortment of snails.....I just think crabs are to cool not to have in my reef, so I accept them for what they are.
Ya, the red starfish is a Fromia, but I do have a blue and an orange linckia as well. Oh, and also a sand sifting starfish. I will admit that I do hunt down and banish gorilla (those fuzzy ones) crabs. I used to let them be but did eventually notice them having a midnight snack on my SPS. Now those are bad inverts in my book So far have only had to pull out 3 though.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:07 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

you know.. I have been reading how many people are against hermits, but I have made a few observations over the last 8 years about them and snails. now this is just what I have seen or concluded and not nessasarly fact, but ....

what I have decided is they don't kill snails but rather take out the ones that are dieing anyways. I have come to this conclusion as I used to have a ton of hermits of a few different types, I like watching them and the little blue legged ones do an amazing job of eating algae off the rocks if you have enough, but I noticed snaills were dieing off. thinking it was the hermits eating them I went on a campaine to remove the hermits. I went from about 50 or 60 to about 3 and added a bunch more snaills. the snaills then dies off at the same rate even though the hermit numbers were only a fraction of the previous numbers. so after removing the last of the hermits I added a bunch more snails.. same result.

for the next 5 years I looked at the life span of different types od snails and decided the only ones I will now buy are asteria, and mexican red turbos (if I need them) I found regular turbos are buldozers, margerita snaills just die for no reason and quickly. frome reading I have found they are actualy a colder water snail and this may be why. but I have found all snails seam to have a higher death rate than other things we put in our tank, but because they are cheep we just buy more.

so over the years I have decided that the hermits arn't killing the snails only culling out the already dieing ones, which is a bonus as the dying snail is eaten quickly and can't polute the tank.

so in my opinion hermit crabs are ok.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:37 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
Ok, you need to have an explanation, as I will never have a tank with out a couple emeralds

Steve
Explain what? Emerald crabs are in the mithrax family.....the vast majority of the hairy legged hitchhiker crabs we find and try to remove are also from the mithrax family.....a crab is a crab is a crab....they are opportunistic and will kill, given the opportunity.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694