Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 PM

imisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterboy View Post
yup, thats a pretty sick tank you got man, nice work !
thanks!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:16 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

Absolutely stunning!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I never caught this build thread earlier. Nice clean work and I really appreciate your DIY stuff. Good colours and growth! Keep it up. I really enjoy seeing what you've done!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharuq1 View Post
Absolutely stunning!!!
thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I never caught this build thread earlier. Nice clean work and I really appreciate your DIY stuff. Good colours and growth! Keep it up. I really enjoy seeing what you've done!
thanks Dez, all the DIYs and etc is what keeps me going in this hobby along with seeing the corals growth. now im out of ideas and have no budget to build new things wat to do!
Old 09-27-2009, 04:24 PM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

very inovative about adding the actinics to the lights any way and letting me in on how you did it?? wanting to add it my pendant also great idea. great colours on your corals too.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomboy View Post
very inovative about adding the actinics to the lights any way and letting me in on how you did it?? wanting to add it my pendant also great idea. great colours on your corals too.
hey boomboy, if im understanding the request right the following pictures should be able to show you how i made the light addon.

and after i finished taking those pictures i was playing around with my camera and i got this which i found interesting, its like i got waves clashing on my water surface.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:36 PM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

thank you very cool water picture. very nice attention to detail even having the the holders molded to the same shape as the light. where did you get the tubing for the light though? also what about heat issues does the acrylic start to heat up and melt?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomboy View Post
thank you very cool water picture. very nice attention to detail even having the the holders molded to the same shape as the light. where did you get the tubing for the light though? also what about heat issues does the acrylic start to heat up and melt?
I got the acrylic tubes at industrial platics and paint, but you should be able to find it at any plastic store. As for heat issues I don't feel any, I've taken the t5 ballasts out many times and the ballast itself feels warm to the touch and does not melt the acrylic. I'm current testing out to see the effect of active cooling on the t5s and so far I don't see anymore light increase but I don't have a par meter to check with.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisky View Post
I got the acrylic tubes at industrial platics and paint, but you should be able to find it at any plastic store. As for heat issues I don't feel any, I've taken the t5 ballasts out many times and the ballast itself feels warm to the touch and does not melt the acrylic. I'm current testing out to see the effect of active cooling on the t5s and so far I don't see anymore light increase but I don't have a par meter to check with.
Im not positive but, I dont think "actively" cooling the bulbs increases the par....I think it decreases the drop in par from the bulbs running too hot, extending the bulb life....Ive said it before and I'll say it again.....mad DIY skills you got there man.....right up there with superfudge.....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-29-2009, 03:44 PM

daddy01 is on a distinguished road

Hi Imisky,
I like you 'light' design, did you make yourself or have plastic shop make it?
And your tank is great also by the way.
Jim