Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 PM

cwickham is on a distinguished road
Default RBTA question

hey

so i have had my anem for about a month now, it keeps crawling right under the rocks, somehow it wesils its way under there. Eventually i pick the rock up and its not even attached to the rock any more.

should i just leave it under the rock, and hope it one day crawls out without dieing?

thanks
craig
Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 AM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

does it look healthy? If it is not attaching it might not be. do you have pics. You could point a powerhead at it to make it move.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:36 AM

cwickham is on a distinguished road

it does look healthy, when i take it out from under the rocks and holds onto the rock and then just almots instantly starts heading towards the sand where it can find a crack to hide its self in, right now i cant even see it, its soo far under the rocks.

im new to anemoneis, so when i say it looks healthy i mean its tenticles look full and it has good colour, aside from that im not sure, when i do take it out from under the rock, its mouth opens up allot(which i heard is bad), but it seems to close up after a couple minutes.

Its under 150MH, and im certain the tank it came from had more light then that, so i dont think its hiding from the light?

do you think i should put it in a container in my tank till it matures a bit?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:41 AM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

I have one and it lives in the back corner of my tank facing the back. they move where they want there is not much you can do. point a ph at it
Old 08-24-2009, 03:55 AM

redfox187 is on a distinguished road

i have a rbta as well who is currently living attatched to the underside of a rock. i tried the flipping of the rock trick as well and boy those rbta can really move quick! he was on the underside of same rock in less than 10 min.. im not to experienced with anemones but ive found a good rule for mine is if they look healthy are eating and arent disturbing anything leave them be. if hes really worrying you where he is try moving him to the other side of the tank.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:00 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

In my experience mine crawl out after awhile. If it is new to the tank it takes awhile to adjust, and hides form the light. I'd say let it be for a week or two, and then move the rock it is attached to where you want it, but remember BTAs like to be tucked in somewhere, so place it in a way that it is snuggled in.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 PM

redfox187 is on a distinguished road

well i should probably clarify that my rbta has only been in my tank(90gal sump/overflow tank) for about 1 week now and after the flip didnt work i just left it alone and told my b/f that it wasnt dying and to stop worrying...and now hes out in the open and looking great