Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM

jonnytens is on a distinguished road
Default LF: small complete salwater setup

I have been keeping several freshwater tanks for about 3 1/2 years now and think it is time I dip my toes into some saltwater. I am looking for a complete setup , preferably small, don't want to start big yet. I have seen those biocubes and such they are kind of what i am looking for. Let me know what you have.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

just for the record, the larger the volume of a tank the easier it is to care for. at least IMO. plus upgrading can get expensive.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 PM

jonnytens is on a distinguished road

i already have several large freshwater tanks so i don't really want another big tank in the house, plus i don't want to invest tons of money into a large saltwater setup. If i start small maybe 20 -33 gallons that will give me an idea of whether saltwater is for me or not. Saltwater tanks seem to be a lot of work and very finnicky compared to freshwater. I see a lot of ppl trying it then selling it all a year later, so i don't want to invest lots just in case i do the same.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 AM

ALBERTA REEF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ALBERTA REEF
Default Tank size

I tought about that too. I did not wan't to big of a tank, but I found 75 -90 gallon is a good size to start. lot of full systems are for sale. reguler tanks, wave tanks and corner tanks I have seen on Canreef for sale. shop around see what one you like. No harm in looking.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:31 AM

Blue-Wolf is on a distinguished road

what price range? I may or may not have a setup for you.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnytens View Post
I have been keeping several freshwater tanks for about 3 1/2 years now and think it is time I dip my toes into some saltwater. I am looking for a complete setup , preferably small, don't want to start big yet. I have seen those biocubes and such they are kind of what i am looking for. Let me know what you have.

Thanks,

Jon
Family Pet Supercentre in the Park has a 29g Biocube and stand for sale for $429 I believe. I think it comes with some extra accessories as well. Not a bad price with the stand included. If the wife didn't think I spent enough on a new tank already I was eyeballing it for a seahorse tank myself! Lots of gear goes up for sale daily on Canreef though, you could always buy a 29g tank and piece it together as items come up for sale. This way you get what you want and can get good quality stuff for cheaper.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Blue-Wolf is on a distinguished road

Mind you, if you are looking for a 10g tank, with filter, Protien skimmer, heater, powerhead, SW lights, lid, sand and live rock, then I have one. Just need to buy a stand for it is all, and I know big al's has a stand that is slightly damaged for about 35 bux as well.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:45 AM

oilfieldsafety is on a distinguished road
Default Testing the water

+1 for a larger system. IMO 90%+ people that start in salt end up upgrading to a larger system. If you enjoy the hobby fresh or salt go the largest system that you can (within reason ) it will save you time and money in the long run, not to mention the fact that it also helps with the stability of the system. Regardless of what way you go, good luck and welcome!

Shane
Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 AM

regent2009 is on a distinguished road

i just started a 72g bowfront with a 21g sump 3 months ago n i already consider upgrade to 135g+. man, u have not much room to move the coral/liverock n so limit on selecting fishes. min. 70+ is a good start. just my own opinion.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:26 PM

dylanserbin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldsafety View Post
+1 for a larger system. IMO 90%+ people that start in salt end up upgrading to a larger system. If you enjoy the hobby fresh or salt go the largest system that you can (within reason ) it will save you time and money in the long run, not to mention the fact that it also helps with the stability of the system. Regardless of what way you go, good luck and welcome!

Shane

+1!!!!

I started with a10g... bad choice. now i want to do a 30-40 or even bigger if i could but i dont have the money
10g vert vivarium, single azureus