Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Wicked Frags

Old 05-16-2009, 11:06 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

If you will go get it for me, Boarder gaurds scare me...
Levi
Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

You cannot technically bring stony corals across the Canada/US border without a proper CITES. But as has been stated, it's fairly easy to do if you have an easy going border guard.

Anyone and their dog can get corals from the states into Canada. I'd actually be extremely surprised if people had issues doing so. I have also spoke directly with ORA and had received the same response as Dave.

You can bring soft corals across the border as long as they aren't affixed to live rock. So ordering zoanthids from the states is A-Ok. All hard corals fall under Appenix II in the CITES categories. This means they require CITES permits for import/export every single time they cross borders. Ron99, I believe ORA's main aquaculture facility is in Florida, so when corals ares shipped to their retailers in the USA, they don't include CITES information. This CITES information would be required for the retailer to apply for the re-export permit and then pass the ORA corals onto a Canadian retailer. You are hoping for productive discussion on import/export, and I think this is productive.

If this discussion keeps someone for unknowingly crossing borders with corals and getting charged under WAPPRIITA in Canada or the Lacey Act in the USA, then someone has been educated and this conversation has been successful. Just think about these people...

$615 Person fine for bringing stoney corals into Canada
http://www.ec.gc.ca/default.asp?lang...A-C6AD90C09899

over $1300 Store fined for bringing corals and clams into Canada
http://www.ec.gc.ca/default.asp?lang...4-0EA275A259EA

I think Dave is trying to show people that they have to be aware of the consequences of buying corals. There are some major consequences if governing bodies decided to make an example of someone. Here is an expert of what could happen:

WAPPRIITA, brought into force by the Government of Canada in 1996, provides federal wildlife officers with an enforcement tool to pursue corporations or individuals who illegally import endangered animals and plants into Canada. Maximum penalties underWAPPRIITA for summary convictions are a fine of up to $25,000 and/or up to six months in jail for individuals and up to a $50,000 fine for corporations. For indictable convictions, maximum penalties are a fine of up to $150,000 and/or up to five years in jail for individuals, and a fine of up to $300,000 for corporations.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 05-17-2009, 03:26 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post

I think Dave is trying to show people that they have to be aware of the consequences of buying corals.
No, this is a vendor updating us to the fact that he does not yet have these items, but is pursuing it.

As mentioned, we are not discussing the legal issues here. This forum is for purposes of advertising wares, announcing sales and providing support to customers.
This is not a public announcement forum and any further legal issues will result in all responses to Dave's announcment being removed.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:59 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Scott. I think I am starting to understand the basics of this. But if I understand correctly it can be done if you have a re-export license/permit and a copy of the original CITES importation information.

I have no insider knowledge of how this is done, this is just how I might try to go about it if I were looking to import these corals. So hypothetically, a third party, whether that's a retailer or another wholesaler or distributor in the US could purchase frags from ORA or Reef Farmers. Presumably, ORA and Reef Farmers may have the original CITES for some or all of their corals. They may be willing to provide a copy to the third party for re-export purposes. Now if that third party has a re-export license or permit then they could ship to Canada. Correct me if I'm wrong with this.

So importing these corals is not impossible, merely difficult and may require additional steps between ORA and Canada. Just because ORA etc. do not have re-export licenses and can't ship corals across the border does not mean others aren't able to do so. The wholesalers in LA obviously have permits to re-export to canada, for example, as many LFS here get product from them. Hell, if I were ORA or Reef Farmers, and given the current economy, I would be happy to have a third party increasing the market for my product by exporting it for me.

Anyhow, just my take on this.

Last edited by Ron99; 05-17-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Thanks Scott. I think I am starting to understand the basics of this. But if I understand correctly it can be done if you have a re-export license/permit and a copy of the original CITES importation information.

I have no insider knowledge of how this is done, this is just how I might try to go about it if I were looking to import these corals. So hypothetically, a third party, whether that's a retailer or another wholesaler or distributor in the US could purchase frags from ORA or Reef Farmers. Presumably, ORA and Reef Farmers may have the original CITES for some or all of their corals. They may be willing to provide a copy to the third party for re-export purposes. Now if that third party has a re-export license or permit then they could ship to Canada. Correct me if I'm wrong with this.

So importing these corals is not impossible, merely difficult and may require additional steps between ORA and Canada. Just because ORA etc. do not have re-export licenses and can't ship corals across the border does not mean others aren't able to do so. The wholesalers in LA obviously have permits to re-export to canada, for example, as many LFS here get product from them. Hell, if I were ORA or Reef Farmers, and given the current economy, I would be happy to have a third party increasing the market for my product by exporting it for me.

Anyhow, just my take on this.

Hypothetically you are correct.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:47 AM

I guess the biggest part to remember is that origin of many of the Tyree corals is unknown. How can you obtain the original export CITES is you don't know where it came from?

Dave, your PM's are full, clean it up!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

PM's are cleaned up.

Am interested to see what was deleted/edited from the thread! It is an interesting topic, and one some clearly feel strongly about.

No further info on ORA corals coming into Canada since the time of my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
I guess the biggest part to remember is that origin of many of the Tyree corals is unknown. How can you obtain the original export CITES is you don't know where it came from?

Dave, your PM's are full, clean it up!