Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-08-2009, 02:26 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Interestingly enough, that's actually sort of the plan, karazy. It will all depend on what my next chunks of rock look like, mind you, but I am sort of aiming for a 'bonsai' look.

I got up this morning to a hermit crab scaling the corners of the tank. At first I though he was trying to escape, and then realized that he was actually climbing the silicone and cleaning bits of organic matter (left over algae from the freshwater setup) from between the silicone and the glass, where I had obviously missed some. I did toss half an algae wafer in yesterday, whether he ate it or not I don't know. So, can anyone tell me what he is (and how big he may get)?

And an updated FTS, though not much has changed. My rocks look a little browner than before, I expect some sort of bloom.

Looking at lighting tonight... Hopefully I decide what I'm doing and then I will go ahead and get some lights. Otherwise, it's going to be a nano FOWLR, and we can't have that.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:21 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
Interestingly enough, that's actually sort of the plan, karazy. It will all depend on what my next chunks of rock look like, mind you, but I am sort of aiming for a 'bonsai' look.
cool! i love bonsai tanks. They really show that to have a good looking reef, you should have a good looking aquascape
Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 AM

I agree. I think that half the battle in getting a great looking tank is the aquascaping. You can't just jumble the rocks together and expect them to look great (which is the reason for the one very large rock in my tetra tank).

Finding a piece of rock to complete the look might be difficult. Finding a piece with a relatively heavy end and a long shelf attached will probably be impossible. But I have high hopes
Old 06-08-2009, 01:42 PM

karazy is on a distinguished road

haha, ive seen some pieces that look like that before, so dont lose hope.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

The live rock is actually reasonably priced considering the extra shipping since it works out to $8.99/lb. Most places in the Lower Mainland sell their live rock at a retail price of $7.99+ (J&L's starts at $8.49/lb for small quantities) so that's actually pretty good pricing. The salt is way cheaper here though.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 PM

Well, the salt would actually have been cheaper, but it was there and so was the rock... I wanted to get started since it was all right there I could actually have ordered it from Saskatoon, it would have come in on the bus. I don't know what shipping would cost, but the salt would be 64.99 for Instant Ocean... not bad at all.