Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-02-2009, 12:48 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

So far its only been 24 hours scince I have noticed it. I have bought some Garlic Extreme and Selcon which is soaking up in some NLS pellets as I type this. I also bought a Cuppermine bottle and Copper test but am hoping I wont have to use it.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:17 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So far its only been 24 hours scince I have noticed it. I have bought some Garlic Extreme and Selcon which is soaking up in some NLS pellets as I type this. I also bought a Cuppermine bottle and Copper test but am hoping I wont have to use it.
Please feed the fish as much as they can eat and feed often and feed only the soaked food.The ich will return but once the fish are 'full of ' the garlic and selcon the ich will not attach. They will remain in the water so continue doing this for some time. If it returns catch it at the begging and continue treatment.
Good Luck
Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 AM

If I dont see any improvment by the weekend I am treating with Copper.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:33 PM

daddy01 is on a distinguished road

ryan,
I had ich outbreak awhile back while I was away for a week, and my son was babysitting.
What I did was lower Salinity to 1.02 (slowly) for a week, and feed Garlic and selcon then slowly raised the salinity. I havent' had ich since.
Jim
Old 06-02-2009, 03:44 PM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

When I had my ich issue I also feed garlic that I made myself, the funny thing is that after a feeding the tank, the water smelt like I was marinating my fish in garlic.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:48 AM

Well 24 hours into the Garlic food and my skimmer has stopped building foam and my anemone has receded. Would this be because of the Garlic?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:17 AM

icecool217 is on a distinguished road

I think I am on the same boat as Ryan now. I don't have a spare tank and my clowns have ich.
I am using garlic guard by seachem. Is this good enough? I am considering setting up a hospital tank very soon.
As for the main tank, I have cleaner and fire shrimps. If I leave the tank empty for 6-8 weeks, would i be able to treat ich that way or would they stick onto the shrimps?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

copper in a qt tank
dont waste your time buying cleaner shrimp or uv's that garbage does nothing for curing ich.
garlic is a good idea but dosent cure ich at all just helps the fish strengthen up to fight it off,

read some articles by people who know what they are talking about and make your own choices, seems that the boards always spit out the same garbage that dosent work and has been proven not to work many times
i think ich is a topic people dont quite grasp alot of the time
Old 06-03-2009, 06:32 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecool217 View Post
I think I am on the same boat as Ryan now. I don't have a spare tank and my clowns have ich.
I am using garlic guard by seachem. Is this good enough? I am considering setting up a hospital tank very soon.
As for the main tank, I have cleaner and fire shrimps. If I leave the tank empty for 6-8 weeks, would i be able to treat ich that way or would they stick onto the shrimps?
First of all make sure that the clowns have ich and not clown fish disease which is fatal if not treated immediately.
Some of the garlic treatments are nothing but watered down garlic juice that is not concentrated enough. I do not know about seachem but IMO invest in a bottle of garlic extreme or garlic extract which you can get from a health food store or squeeze your own which is a really smelly way to go.
I suspect that those who have not had success with garlic treatment use a weak solution or do not load the fish with extract. ie feed very often and only garlic soaked food during treatment.
If you use frozen food, the mysis is loaded with water and will not absorb enough garlic.
I agree with I have crabs that garlic acts on the immune system to fight ich. I also think the ich chooses not to attach to a fish that is garlic laden.
But, I disagree with I have crabs about the use of cleaner shrimp and neon gobies. Both these fish help by removing some ich from the sick fish.
UV will also help if the light is strong enough and the flow through the UV slow enough.
Water changes also help by diluting the ich concentration especially if you sipon near the bottom.

If you remove all the fish for eight weeks in your main tank there will be no ich in your tank as ich requires fish to survive.
Good Luck

Last edited by naesco; 06-03-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 AM

icecool217 is on a distinguished road

What I am saying is that would ich stay with the shrimps and crabs? if it doesn't, then i guess I can remove the fish from the tank for 8 weeks and it would be fine
but yeah, I'll try to get it set up a QT tank asap. One of the clowns isn't doing very well If someone got a QT tank they want to adopt them, it would be better as I don't want them to die