Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

Better yet, buy yourself a DI unit witha carbon cartridge and micron filter or the Tap Water Purifier if you wnat to do it on the cheap. You are in Vancouver and you will get hundreds and hundreds of gallons before a replacement cartridge is needed. Water out of the tap is only about 15ppm dissolved solids. RO is really a waste in the Vancouver area IMHO, only upside is maybe in the fall and winter when turbidity is an issue.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM

alouie is on a distinguished road

Agree with Bryan. My tap water reads 12ppm with my TDS and is 0 after it goes through the Tap water purifier and a cartridge does seem to last forever.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought some RO water from Save On foods because I wanted to do a big water change and not wait for my RO unit and tested the TDS at 3.

So I didn't use it.

I would just get an RO unit so you know you can get 0 each time.

I think most grocery store units say right on them that they only guarantee around 10 and under TDS.

I used to get bottled water delivered to me for drinking that was suppose to be under 5 but when I tested it was usually a little higher and sometimes around 15 which is higher than our tap water!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 AM

edikpok is on a distinguished road

Safeway doesn't speify its TDS rating...

Should we still "Prime" the water after RO/chemical filtration to get rid of chlorine and chloramine?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:30 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

The carbon block cartridges/filters preceding the RO membrane take care of the chlorine so you don't need to treat the filtered water any further except for your salt and any other dosing requirements of your system. I see now that suppliers are offering 'special' chloramine filters for RO systems as well. The thing to do is determine what your water utility uses to treat the tap water, chlorine or chloramine, then ensure you have the appropriate pre filter to take care of it. Probably not a bad idea to get a chlorine test kit from your local pool/spa supplier, but I think if you change your carbon chlorine guzzler at the recommended interval, you should be ok.

If I'm not mistaken, chlorine/chloramine will destroy your RO membrane, so you want to ensure the pre filters are in good shape.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:19 PM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

I tested water out of the tap today and got 12ppm

Tested it out of my filter and got 0

I have this setup:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=ro-aptwp

It changes colour when it is time to change it. Or just keep testing it with your TDS meter to see if he quality has changed. A friend in North Van has a 75 gallon right now and with weekly water changes he still only has to replace it every 8-10 months.

Our water quality is fairly good in the lower mainland (actually awesome compared to other places). Simply because of our climate, protection, and proximity to the resevoirs.

How big is your tank You may only need this if you don't want to take many trips to the grocery store.