Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 AM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road
Default Just joined Canreef

Hello everyone, so I discovered this forum from another member but I don't know his username. He was selling a piece of equipment used online locally and me and my room mate bought it from him and he suggested the boards.

We are starting our first salt water tank. I've been getting a lot of information from reefcentral.com sorry to say. I'll probably jump back and forth between forums for my needs but wanted to touch base here.

We are setting up a 150 gallon reef from scratch mostly by purchasing used gear. We'll have a 30 gallon sump underneath and will be setting up a reef tank.

We are from Calgary and have most of our equipment purchased. We just need a couple (I think 2 powerful ones would be enough) powerheads, a return pump for the sump (probably around 1000-1200 GPH at 3 feet, not really sure yet and then lastly we need to solve out lighting situation.

Anyways, if any of you have any of this equipment or know where we can get a good deal, since our budget is quickly dwindling after the tank, skimmer and RODI unit purchases, PLEASE point us in the right direction. We may even be willing to trade a 50 gallon tank with stand and light canopy (used for fresh water) for some of this stuff. Feel free to contact us in this thread.

Lastly, we're in desperate need for some good quality live rock and live sand. We are looking at buying from Golds Aquarium for 7.99 per pound live rock but we really cant afford much at that price. Once again, willing to trade and would love to get let in on any kind of secret place to get good stuff for cheaper.

Thanks a lot, Im sure you'll see us around. I'll follow this thread for sure.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:41 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Hey, welcome to Canreef!

There's all kinds of stuff for sale in the classified section on here, check that out... Also, check out the sponsoring vendors, internet shopping is awesome

On the live rock thing, have you considered having rock shipped to you rather than picking it up locally? You'll probably end up with nicer rock that way, though you'll pay probably around the same per pound after shipping is all worked out.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:41 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Welcome to canreef and the dark side of fishkeeping I think Jdigital has some stuff for sale....not sure if he is willing to "part out" yet though. Some people on here seem to speak highly of a shop called Red Coral
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 05-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Welcome to canreef
Old 05-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Welcome to canreef and the dark side of fishkeeping I think Jdigital has some stuff for sale....not sure if he is willing to "part out" yet though. Some people on here seem to speak highly of a shop called Red Coral
*cough shameless plug cough*

Keep an eye out in the For Sale section. Lots of times you can find good ammounts of established live rock for cheap.
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard!
Reef keeping is like most other things in life.... you generally get what you pay for.
In my experience buying "used" live rock cost me more in the long run because I inherited someone else's nuisance algae and headaches. (unless used in the sump)

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 05-23-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:55 PM

EG-9 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Welcome to Canreef.
Local Store as following:
Ocean City
Wai's Aquarium
Elite
Gold Aquarium
Red Coral Aquarium
Big Al's
Old 05-23-2009, 06:25 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Haha thats funny, I was actually just reading through the thread about starting a club and saw you were the vendor that ran Red Coral I'll be sure to check it out nonetheless.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Tomjay is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef