Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 05-14-2009, 04:52 AM

jassz is on a distinguished road

Do you think the lines are probably reversed? To me, the line at the back looks like the water-out lines on my FW tank. It has a cover over the end so the fish don't get sucked up in to it. The line at the front looks like it should be adjustable for height, hence, maybe it is supposed to be the line in to the tank, and the siphon out line when the power is off.

But the line at the back is definitely the line in at the moment, because if I pour water into the sump, or if it gets air in it for a second, it's definitely coming out the back line.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:41 AM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

That could be the solution. The lines in and out of the Fluval don't matter since it is enclosed. Connect the front tube to your return. It actually looks upside down. On mine, the "U" sits over the tank lip with the flared end just below the water surface.

I suggest turning off your return pump and quickly disconnecting the return hose from long line at the back. Loosen any hose clamps first so you can do it quickly. Once the line is disconnected your chance of massive draining should eliminated. Turn off the Fluval and swap the lines. Try inverting the "U" so it sits over the tank lip.

I think this should work. The overflow will still drain some so you do need some room in your sump for that.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:22 AM

Default I did it!

Well, mostly.

I figured out the plumbing (and it wasn't the way I thought). I am satisfied now I could survive a power outage with dry feet. More importantly, I'm not so intimidated by it any more.

I got the wiring tacked up nicely. I changed out 10% of the water and vaccumed the gravol. I moved the live rocks from the sump in to the tank (tried to create interesting caves etc for the gang... they seem to like it), and most importantly, I got the protein skimmer installed! It seems to work great, but it is frothing out the top which I figure it shouldn't do. I tried adjusting the water level with the pipe at the side, as I was instructed, but it's still frothing. I think I might have too much water in the sump, but taking some water out won't work as the skimmer isn't in the lowest point. I have to change the partition wall, I think. But does it matter if it foams out the top?

I didn't get the second heater installed, but we'd all had enough for one day.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:53 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Hmm by foaming out the top, do you mean overflowing the collection cup with wet foam? Or are you missing the collection cup on your skimmer?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:10 AM

Well, the collection cup is full of water, so I guess that means I'm overflowing it, not missing it? I'll try and get a picture in the morning.

In the meantime, I wrapped some media floss around the lip.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:29 AM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear your keeping dry feet!