Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 PM

365seasons is on a distinguished road
Default Diamox Question

We were wondering if anyone knows how to obtain or had any left over Diamox (which is a medication for seahorses with GBS).

If there is any fish specialized vet in the city, as apparently most vets don't carry it.

If anyone has any leftover, we'd be willing to buy it off you!

Thanks in advance. Any input would be appreciated.

Saltwater 55gallon column seahorse tank

saltwater 65G mixed tank w/ 30G sump
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM

Key Equine is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, still having trouble with your male?

I googled 'exotic animal vet calgary' and there is an Avian and Exotic Clinic in town... Not sure if they could help? the website is www.calgarypetvet.com
Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 PM

H2oStable is on a distinguished road

Just been down this road....there is one vet that I am trying to get some from....will be meeting with her next week. I want some on hand for when I try to raise these babies. If I can get some you are more than welcome to it. The issue here is no one is willing to give prescriptions without seeing the animal (and there are very few marine vets in town) and this treatment is fairly new. It would be an added stress to your pony to take it in, but is probably worth the effort as it will give it the best chance for recovery.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2oStable View Post
Just been down this road....there is one vet that I am trying to get some from....will be meeting with her next week. I want some on hand for when I try to raise these babies. If I can get some you are more than welcome to it. The issue here is no one is willing to give prescriptions without seeing the animal (and there are very few marine vets in town) and this treatment is fairly new. It would be an added stress to your pony to take it in, but is probably worth the effort as it will give it the best chance for recovery.
Yeah, it's really tricky for sure. We've been doing some research and come to the conclusion that it may be easier to have it prescribed for a person from a family doctor as Diamox is originally used for altitude sickness. Called a pharmacy asking if we could get a small portion of it, and they told us that they'd be able to administer us it if we had our family doctor fax a prescription over. Only problem being is that we don't really have one set family doctor and it'd be tricky just to talk to a walk in doctor or something. I agree though that it'd be a lot of stress on top of everything to take the pony in. Thinking our best bet may be to try and have it prescribed by a human doctor....
Vice versa, if we get some, you're welcome to it.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Equine View Post
Hmmm, still having trouble with your male?

I googled 'exotic animal vet calgary' and there is an Avian and Exotic Clinic in town... Not sure if they could help? the website is www.calgarypetvet.com
Thanks Claire! We gave them a shout, but they both want us to bring him in, and even then, we were told that they 'might' be able to get some in. =(
We got our the air in his tummy through massage and hypodermic needles, but it's in his tail as well now. =(

Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 PM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

A GREAT exotic vet is Dr Elaine Murphy at Britannia Kingsland Vet 253-7044. (I Used to work there) She knows her stuff! I would definately try her first HOWEVER...you will not likely find ANY vet that will dispense anything without a visit for legal/liability reasons. Let me know if you find any other options in obtaining diamox. Good luck...

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp