Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 PM

MadCow is on a distinguished road
Default clownfish advice

I currently have a pair of black australians in a 90gal, my dilemma is that I have a small maroon (1/2) size of the black male in a seperate 10gal.

Is there a way to add the little guy in the larger tank without having him having the heck beaten out of him? I know if I do put him in, I'll never get him out, we had to tear apart a 15gal to get him out to my 10gal.

any help would be appreciated.

-mc
Old 05-14-2009, 01:12 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

I don't know but I can give the black pair a new home if need be

Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

The little one would most likely get killed, unless you have tons of rock for him to hide..all that said , stranger things have happened..if it was mine I would sell or give away the little one...2cents worth
Old 05-14-2009, 01:28 AM

Default maroon clown

I have about 90#'s of live rock in there, lotsa hiding spaces, just don't want him to spend his life hiding.

He came from my GF's tank (15gal) that had lotsa corals, but kept getting a bacterial infection from rubbing on something (lost both pectoral fins).

I'd give him out to someone if I knew he would have a good home. he is very personable and friendly.

Bot tanks I have have pairs of blacks in them, and I would hate him to get hurt too badly.

-mc
Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I think he would be hiding lots...just the nature between clowns sometimes. Still anything can happen in the fishworld...they may just pick their respective zones and be just fine, however if you do try to introduce them , make sure you reposition a bunch of rock and maybe introduce him at dusk so that if they do go at each other it will be for a minimum of time. Good luck
Old 05-17-2009, 01:55 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Could try the mirror trick too. IMO its rare but not totally impossible for two different types of clowns to co-exist.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I tried to keep a pair of true perc's with a pair of cinnamon clowns. The true perc's were in the system first, and were larger. Everything was fine for about 6 months until the cinnamon clowns grew larger than the true perc's. The cinnamon clowns would leave their side of the tank and beat up the true perc's for a while, pushing them out of their anemone, before going back to their side of the tank. I tried the mirror trick with no luck. I tried this in a 125 gallon system with about 150 pounds of live rock(lots of hiding places), and 3 anemones. Each pair of clowns had their own anemone, but the cinnamon's eventually claimed all of them, and I had to get the true perc's out after unsuccessfully trying to get the cinnamon clowns out. I wouldn't recommend trying to mix clowns in a system.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road
Default Nasty

from what i understand, maroons can get big and nasty. would worry about the beautiful and pricey blacks. is it worth the risk on a "chance" they might be ok?

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 AM

rkelman is on a distinguished road

Maroons and Ocellaris (black or otherwise) is a bad idea. When the Maroon is small the O's will beat it up. When the Maroon gets big it will kill the Blacks. Not a good situation in any case.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:25 PM

Yeah, I though of that too.

Think I'll try to find a much smaller maroon, and see if they will get along.

Just don't want him living his life alone in a small 10gal