Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-18-2003, 04:15 AM

BCReefer is on a distinguished road
Default Help - I am being infested

OK I need some big time help. It seems my tank is being over run by a hitch hiking weed. At least I call it a weed. It looks like the picture on page 180 of Aquarium Corals by Borneman but the base is brown not white; also it is in single colony not batches like the picture. The whole thing is brown and it cannot be killed. There are also no tubeworms in my tank when I touch it shrinks back into the rock/sand and I cannot get it out

It all started about 6 months ago when I saw the 1st one. I wanted to get rid of it but my wife said it looked cute and she wanted to keep it. Well that one turned into many.

I pulled out 1/2 my rock cleaned it off using a scrub brush and tap water then re-inserted it back into the tank. Now it is everywhere including on the glass and my tank looks like a weed farm.

I have not been doing my regular maintenance for the past couple of months due to new baby, couple of jobs etc.

Any help is really appreciated – I would get rid of the fish and start fresh but I have a few corals that I am scared to give to anyone cause I don’t want to contaminate their tank.

I have another 30 G tank that I could rig up the corals and fish in sand then dump my corals sand and somehow clean my rock but how do I start the water over again and how can I clean off my softies without damaging them?

Can't find my camera to take pictures.

Help
Patrick
Old 06-18-2003, 04:44 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I think you're talking about aptaisia. Get a peppermint shrimp. Problem solved.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:46 AM

Reef,

I'm done to store tomorrow and if it works I'm buying you a beer the next time your in town. (or tea if thats your liking)
Old 06-18-2003, 04:50 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

coffee's good. Some people say that they didn't have any luck, but I've bought 7 peppermints over the last two years and every one of them ate the aiptasia. If the tank is heavily infested, it could take up to 2 weeks to clear out.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:56 AM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road

Patrick,

Pep's will definately do the job.

If you want to encourage them. minimize the feedings of the tank. Starve 'em into submission.

Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment
-----------------------------------
Old 06-23-2003, 07:16 PM

My wife was doing some reading on this topic and she found out that the shrimp will not touch anything bigger than 1" high. The stuff in my tank is 3 - 4" high.

Is there any truth to what she read?

TKS
Old 06-23-2003, 11:37 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

they did the ones in that were over 3" tall in my tank.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:50 AM
Just a guy..

ate all mine, even the big ones.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:36 AM

OK I have added a total of 3 pepermint shrimp. 1 2 weeks ago and 2 yesterday but I just can't see them taking care of the "lawn" that has grown in my tank.

I heard a butterfly fish would eat the apitasia. I know I only have a 33G but can I get a small butterfly and trade it back in a year or maybe by then I will have my 75G tank.

I really am getting desperate if something dose not work soon.

Maybe I should take out most of rocks and give it a bath in high concentrated calcium, this is suppose to burn it off. I know that I would also be killing my rock but I don't know what else to do?
Old 07-07-2003, 02:39 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Some people have had success injecting kalkwasser into the aptasias with a syringe. A search on Reefcentral should give you a good number of related results.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906