Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

So what do the T5 users consider a good benchmark fixture? I was looking at Tek or Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb fixtures.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post

Brad I do like how you said you use what you like. It's my tank and I spend WAY too much time staring into it to use something I don't find ideal.
Well, ya, that's what it's all about. Even if it's proven beyond any doubt that product X is better than MH, I like mine and I'm happy. I have the colors I want, the shimmer I like, my corals grow, my fish can see, everything is good. It also lights up my room pretty good, so all in all, I'm happy.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
So what do the T5 users consider a good benchmark fixture? I was looking at Tek or Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb fixtures.
If I had to choose between those two I would go with the NEP and swap out the stock lamps immediately.

Based on testing to date I would say the benchmark for T5 fixtures would be the ATI Powermodule. There hasn't been enough testing or time to say how the Sfiligoi Stealth and Fauna Marin Star Fire compare with respect to PAR.

Ultimately, make sure any fixture you get has high quality individual reflectors, active cooling over the lamp cold spot, and a protective shield for the lamps (in that order of importance). Then note that the Tek doesn't have active cooling while the NEP does so go with it if that's what your only two options are. For a more affordable, higher quality option I would suggest the poor-man's Powermodule (the ATI Sunpower) if the maximum number of lamps you need is 6. If you want to be sure that you get the best then go with the Powermodule, Star Fire or Stealth (especially if you need more than 6 lamps).
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 PM

Thanks but I think the ATI fixtures are out of my budget. I am looking for something decent at a relatively affordable price to do the job until I can build my LED array. The ATI fixtures are several hundred dollars more than the NEP or Tek.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

For a quick fix I think the Tek would be the way to go overpower them with a IceCap660 Ballast.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 PM

TVR is on a distinguished road

My tank is 25 deep too (should be more than from the light to bottom of the tank) - And I am lighting it with T5's Let see how's thing doing in there.
It was a big debate for me when choosing the light but I finally go for T5 after reading some articles about the MH related to over heat and chances of fire
I love MH though but have to stic with T5's for the sake of safety and summer's heat concern.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:16 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Thanks but I think the ATI fixtures are out of my budget. I am looking for something decent at a relatively affordable price to do the job until I can build my LED array. The ATI fixtures are several hundred dollars more than the NEP or Tek.
Then like I said above, go with the NEP over the Tek for sure.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Then like I said above, go with the NEP over the Tek for sure.
Okay. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:41 AM

Piscez is on a distinguished road

I went from a Coralife PC to my NEP, I'm a newb but I can tell you myself, my corals and fish are all much happier.

There's even a fan quite mod available:

http://www.bderen.com/DIY/

I don't mind the fan noise as I don't find it annoying, but I may do it in the future if I've nothing better to do or a fan burns out.

I would like to go with a little more blue lighting when it comes time to change, and I certainly like the custom variations we can have.