Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

excellent work Mrfish55 was this a spur of the moment "hey I should build a fire truck!" type of build?

Is the truck fully functional (extending ladder, outriggers)?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:06 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

the firetruck is awesome!

Heres ours.

The bottom one hasnt even seen fuel yet and I havent gotten around to painting a body for it, but it will happen!

Last edited by Borderjumper; 04-21-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:19 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose View Post
excellent work Mrfish55 was this a spur of the moment "hey I should build a fire truck!" type of build?

Is the truck fully functional (extending ladder, outriggers)?
Thanks. I looked around and could not find anything commercially available so decided to build my own, It is modeled after and scaled down from the local departments truck, Six months of research and drawings and now approaching 2 1/2 years build time, when complete it will be fully functional with scale hydraulics $$$$$$$$$$$. The ladder has over 350 pieces of brass in three sections and will function just like the real deal. Why can't I find a normal hobby
Old 04-21-2009, 05:03 AM

I bet you learned alot building that truck! Kinda like your first reef tank.

Here is a picture of the revo 3.3 that I traded for my old FW equipment. It's a little beat up but I like it.

I'm running 30% nitro becuase the previous owner ran it. I'm guessing the nitro is for performance. Does it really make much difference?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:08 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Man oh man I need to take some pictures of my savage. Seems you guys must drive slow on grass and never bash your trucks

Where does everyone play with their trucks? I'm a big fan of going to the local gravel pits and doing hill climbing. I need to get reverse one of these days instead of climbing the dirt mound when my truck gets stuck.

I'm also surprise nobody is running 40 series tires either! My truck has some monster 40 series with beadlocks
Old 04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
Thanks. I looked around and could not find anything commercially available so decided to build my own, It is modeled after and scaled down from the local departments truck, Six months of research and drawings and now approaching 2 1/2 years build time, when complete it will be fully functional with scale hydraulics $$$$$$$$$$$. The ladder has over 350 pieces of brass in three sections and will function just like the real deal. Why can't I find a normal hobby
This sounds fascinating! Can you post a video of it doing a few things?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 AM

I was racing the truck around today and the same thing happened last time. It stopped running and I couldn't start it again. Changed the glow plug and cleaned the engine of excess fuel because I thought I flooded it and it still didn't start. Not sure whats going on now.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 AM

bullit67 is on a distinguished road

Well time for me to chime in if it starts and runs fine till it warms up I hate to tell you this but the engine needs a rebuild ( piston and sleeve ) in a nitro engine there are no rings they have a tapered sleeve so as the piston travles to the top the sleeve pinches the piston to create compression. Soooo when the engine gets hot the sleeve expands and looses its pinch which equals no compression. there are a few things that can cause this like leaving the piston at TDC ( top dead center ) when the engine is hot as the engine cools the piston streaches the sleeve this is a big killer of nitro engines. The other big no no is improper brake in of the new engine I dont know how many times i would see a guy buy a new nitro truck on fri. and see him back in the store on Sat. " how come it wont run" It could also be just plan worn out . But hey dont panic it is a traxxas after all any hobby shop that carries RC should have parts for it and a piston and sleeve is not that expensive. Dont bother with the engine exchange program by the time you get it here it will cost more then just buying one from you LHS (local hobby shop)

Hope this helps
Old 04-22-2009, 02:48 AM

Sam1969 is on a distinguished road

your fuel line needs to be changed .. those lines get clogged up after awhile .. garantee you if you change the fuel line it will work ( about 3 bucks )
I have a revo 3.3 as well, and I change my line atleast once a year.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 AM

bullit67 is on a distinguished road

you can try it but I dont think it will help if it was the fuel line it would not start at all if it did start it would run real lean as it would be sucking air in the the fuel. run it till it stalls and see how much compression it has.