Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OM View Post
How much water would you need to completely dissolve the amount salt you need for 10 gallons, and how long would you think it would stay completely dissolved?.
are you taking about supersaturation?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
An aquarium controller could handle that kind of logic. I know that Aquatronica could do it, and I assume that Profilux could also handle that.
A profilux could do it, in fact it could do it and add multiple safety to it. You can also set delay time on the float response which could eliminate the need for higher salinity content in the storage. In addition you can even set the two floats to operate at different times of the day. In fact the profilux has multiple ways to setup auto water change but I never mentioned it before as I assumed the interest was more for doing this without such controllers.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:55 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
are you taking about supersaturation?
Not if it is going to re-crystallize, just enough water to fully dissolve the salt .
Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Yeah that works if you run that style of top off, I however don't usually use such systems. The systems I use only have one float switch for level control and some have an extra float switch up higher but only for safety if the primary were to fail. Either way same thing.

I also agree with the rest, I also don't consider a system automated unless you do absolutely nothing but I've been down that road and invested money into R&D trying to develop a way of adding salt automatically. In the end I concluded that there wasn't an efficient way to do it, anything that would work reliably was too expensive and still not that reliable. Biggest problem is humidity, even in low humid environments salt will clump up quickly if exposed and combined with the typically more humid environments, where open water exists, this problem is amplified. This makes it even more difficult to implement.

Like I said before in the end adding a few cups of salt on a regular bases is a very simple task, unless you married a turkey I think she could probably manage. You could even set an alarm to remind her

Please note I meant absolutely no offense with any of this, just had to say it, I've noticed an increase in sensitivity over the last few months
No offense taken. I have to wonder though. You allways talk and remind us about the fact that things fail. Yet your only using a single float operated ATO? Do you have a second High High level float on your ATO in case the one sticks?

I have at present, one flaot that operates my ATO to. It signals a timer. The float has to be "switched" for 10 min before the pump turns on. Then when the leven switches the float off, the pump shits off. BUT, there is also a nother float that shuts the whole thing down. This float is set up above the water line. Where it won't get salt creep and lessens it's chance of sticking and causing the system to fail.

Just wondering

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
No offense taken. I have to wonder though. You allways talk and remind us about the fact that things fail. Yet your only using a single float operated ATO? Do you have a second High High level float on your ATO in case the one sticks?

I have at present, one flaot that operates my ATO to. It signals a timer. The float has to be "switched" for 10 min before the pump turns on. Then when the leven switches the float off, the pump shits off. BUT, there is also a nother float that shuts the whole thing down. This float is set up above the water line. Where it won't get salt creep and lessens it's chance of sticking and causing the system to fail.

Just wondering
Many of the atos I've installed including the one I use is actually a profilux, it's a single float which uses a maximum on time for safety. You can connect other floats to control the ato in other ways but never have.
I also make a system which uses two floats, one for primary use and the second set higher just for safety if the primary should fail. The system also operates on a timer for additional safety. I feel such a system is essentially fail safe unless someone where to over ride the timer and both floats fail.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OM View Post
Not if it is going to re-crystallize, just enough water to fully dissolve the salt .
The saturation point is about 25%, and if you maintain temperature it should not precipitate. So volume vise you should be able to mix 7.5 gallons of water with 2.5 gallons of salt at room temp. Higher temperatures will allow for higher saturation.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 AM

Doo is on a distinguished road

This is all very cool!

Does anyone have any pictures or sketches?

where do you get these valves or solenoids from?

I am going to post what I imagine but don't know where to get the parts from...
Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 AM

Jack is on a distinguished road

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...fo#post7704989
Old 04-17-2009, 04:17 AM

Doo is on a distinguished road

This is my small brain in action and I think it should work - don't know??

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/pic...pictureid=1043

Old 04-17-2009, 04:24 AM

msobon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo View Post
This is my small brain in action and I think it should work - don't know??

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/pic...pictureid=1043

Where is the salt coming from? so far I see drain then water topped off with fresh water, I'm assuming that's what you mean by the auto top off.