Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

View Poll Results: How would you reform Canada's justice system?
Bring back the death penalty 3 16.67%
Three-strikes and you're out mandatory life imprisonment for repeat offendors 6 33.33%
All judges to be elected and accountable to the public 4 22.22%
Texas-style supermax prisons 0 0%
GPS-based lifelong monitoring for all violent ex-convicts 2 11.11%
Mandatory minimum sentences to be served in full 2 11.11%
Victims to have the final say in the criminal's sentence 0 0%
Nothing, our criminal justice system is just fine 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2003, 01:08 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Rasta I have been to Singapore, and believe me the people there are scared of the police.. the caning is the sentance but they will "rough you up" to get the confession. also the laws there are totaly nuts.. did you know it is also a 3 canning punishment for chewing bubblegum outside of your home.

there is reasons for there laws.. it once was a lawless place.. now it is so safe and peasfull but that came at a huge price.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:37 PM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
Rasta I have been to Singapore, and believe me the people there are scared of the police.. the caning is the sentance but they will "rough you up" to get the confession. also the laws there are totaly nuts.. did you know it is also a 3 canning punishment for chewing bubblegum outside of your home.

there is reasons for there laws.. it once was a lawless place.. now it is so safe and peasfull but that came at a huge price.

Steve
Nowhere have I said that we should model our police like those in Singapore ... corporal punishment on the other hand would be a huge deterrent to crime ... as a society we should be intelligent enough to take what works and apply it and throw out what does not work.

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 06-16-2003, 03:47 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I don't believe coercion is the solution - establishment of a strong civil society is.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 06-16-2003, 06:55 PM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

So you dont think we cant beat it out of em to at least make em think twice before they hold up the corner store ? ... and that the criminals will come around eventually and become productive citizens by our " no consequence " stance in regards to the liberties that thay take on society as a whole ? ...

the only problem with that thinking is ... well ... it does not work !

and it only really hits home when you or your loved ones become victim to one of these people that you try so hard to protect. Remember who LAWS are trying to protect here is the " innocent " victims ... you are more concerned for the " rights " of the offender ...

the way I see it is if someone goes to the trouble to plan and then execute an offence then we also have to assume that he/she has weighed the consequences for such actions ... what we as a society then have to do is to make sure that this does not happen is to make sure that the consequences are such that they dont want to go to/back to jail ... EVER

Now there are lots of ways to try and avoid people screwing up in the first place through education in schools and so on but the poll was what to do with them " after " they get caught.

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 06-24-2003, 10:25 AM

Wannabe Reefer is on a distinguished road

There are many things that could be done to improve the criminal justice system and let me tell you from personal knowledge that it takes longer to put some one injail than it does for them to go through the system and be released. i am still doing the paper work when they are already back out on the street. The thing about jail is that they have more comforts than alot of the average working class people that abide by the laws and if you want to learn how to be a criminal than all you have to do is serve time in jail howver you will have to have alot of prior convictions to even see the inside of an actual jail. not long ago arrested a male with over $600 worth of crack and a loaded hand gun driving downthe street. he had an extensive criminal record and was released back into the comounity because he did not pose a rusk to the public. If you want to make changes remove the charter of rights and give the police more power rather than the criminal being the victim and us proving that they did do something wrong and we did not. Make a sentence to jail an actual sentence instead of having to do 1/3 the time and being released. have long terms for serious violent offenders. And maybe lock them all in sepertate cells and keep them isoolated and take away there cable television. hey but that is just me i am not what you could call a touchy feely kind of person, I think if you want to break the law you should have no rights not more rights that the people who obey and enforce those laws.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Reefer
If you want to make changes remove the charter of rights and give the police more power rather than the criminal being the victim and us proving that they did do something wrong and we did not. .
I hope you are just saying this out of fusteration and don't realy mean it. To do this would put us back into a time whare "Police" would arrest people because they didn't like the way they were acting. or the way the looked. General population would be "scared" of the police insted of respecting them as they do now. If you can't prove some one did something then then why should you be allowe to arrest them? That would lead to me being arested because there was a robbery 3 blocks down the road and the robber was white.

I do agree there are to many loop holes that free criminals that should be behind bars.

Quote:
And maybe lock them all in sepertate cells and keep them isoolated and take away there cable television.
This I totaly agree with. we have a minimum security out here that has a golf course for the con's.. I say that ONCE they are leagaly convicted all rights to TV, golg, music, ect.. should be stripped and hard labour should be reinterduced for more serious offences.
It is pretty sad when some people are better off in Jail then they are on the street.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 06-25-2003, 09:38 PM

Wannabe Reefer is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the confusion bad wording choice on my part. I do believe that there needs to be proof prior to some one being arrested I just feel that there are too many of the loop holes that you refer to. I agree that the general population does respect the police and I do not think that anyone should fear them. However it is the criminal who does not respect the police and is free to tell me to go #%&* myself because he says I put the handcuffs on to tight and he is going to complain, sue me and have my job. It is not the general public that causes the problem and it is not the people that the police need to have more power and control over, it is the criminal that is arrested and has more rights than the police officer who arrested him that is the problem.

Quote:
I hope you are just saying this out of fusteration and don't realy mean it.
Alot is frustration. When you see someone with a record that includes numerous assault convictions and assault on police officer convictions that have recieved a $100 fine for each offence walking around the day after you arrested him and he fights with you it is very frustrating.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:44 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Does the department have staff psychologists to deal with job stress?

It often seems to me that the average Canadian feels he or she is being ripped off by The Man. There is this idea of a political "elite", which I think has a great deal of truth to it, but at the same time, the government is not a corporate machine bent on profit at the expense of the states's citizens. I think that as tax payers, we have the ability to influence public policy a great deal. I feel that generally, every law that is in place is in place for a good reason, even when it's me, a suffering college student, who has just received a $287 traffic ticket.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 06-25-2003, 11:33 PM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

An eye for an eye (cut off hand for theft, etc), public floggings, proceeds of crime, prison work camps, removal of civil rights, prisoners used for scientific experiments......

These are a few of my favorite things.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:34 PM

Quote:
because he says I put the handcuffs on to tight and he is going to complain, sue me and have my job.
Hehe, ya I know how that goes.. I just finnished 4 months of training a while ago so that I can be granted "peace officer" status when it is warrented. pretty trickey getting them hand cufs on just right I know a few of my buddys were ****ed at me .. especialy when I cuffed them after I was pepper sprayed Don't want to have to do that one again for a while

Steve