Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-04-2002, 07:10 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default light required by diferent corals

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ88:
I thought you weren't going MH?
.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whare have you been for the last month? :D I am trying to decide which DE HQI to buy.

Quote:
I have seen what happens to SPS under NO lighting. It doesn't work. unless you put it directly below the waters surface. NO(even overdriven) .[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">whare did this come from? I only use NO bulbs for actinic suplament. I have 3 NO actinic bulbs and two 96 watt PC's right now, and have another 2 on order so all togeather I will have 3 NO actinic , 4 96 watt 10000K PC's and 2 HQI's (not sure how I am going to fit them all yet but I will LOL)

Quote:
Save yourself the headache. and the coral. If you want SPS. Get MH. Go for the highest intensity you can get. ie 250W Iwasaki. They have the cheapest bulbs and are heads and tails above anything else for PAR..[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thats the tipical answer I was taling about [img]smile.gif[/img] but I have stated I don't want Iwasaki's as I have seen several tanks with them and I personaly don't like the colour of them. Besides I remember some one telling me that you just spent 5000.00 on your tank so why cheep out on something that important.

Quote:
Until you have the knowledge and experience under your belt start small. Go for the softies and easy LPS. As the tank matures(ie a year) and you have the care of those accomplished and you aren't having any losses due to tank conditions and learning something foreign to you, then move up to the more difficult corals. M. Digitata or something like that. If you jump right in and try keeping the more difficult corals(most SPS) all the while you are learning how your tank is going to react to different conditions you are going to do one thing. kill a lot of coral.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well you were very blunt so I will be also.. this was totaly uncalled for and ignorant.. you coment on some one while not having any idea what background they do have, or what capability they have.. I am not just talking about this post or myself now.. the rest of your post was just plain "crap" and I would apreaceate it if you no longer reply to any of my posts. If Titus had a ignore feature on here after today I would be using it.

I do not mind constructive critisim but what you give is in now way constructive. I just don't understand why you feel you have to poisen a thread with your attatude like this.. it wasn't about my tank or what I am going to do it was about me trying to find out what kinda of requirments different corals have in nature .. just out of curosity, but you start calling me a coral killer and that my plans are how did you put it "Sh!t or get off the pot". Maby I don't feel I need to go out and buy the lights tomorrow when the ones I have will work fine for while my tank is maturing enuf for SPS like you said "(ie a year)". so should I run out and buy thease lights that might or might not be the best ones to buy so they can sit unused for a year.. I thinknot.. I could spent the money on rock and buy 135lbs instead of 45 or 90. also that give me a year (probably more like 6 to 8 months) to do some more looking into different MH and HQI lights sence no one seam to know enuf about HQI at this point in time.

I seriously doubt that you will find anyone more paitent than my self when it comes to doing a fish tank and letting it mature. this comes from 27 years of keeping fish (didn't have any for 5 of them years) so actualy only 22 years of having 1 or more tanks set up.. both fresh and salt.

hmmm, Brad I would have to have a skimmer befor I can put water in my tank :D :D .. I know , I know.. another week. ;)

Steve
Old 04-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by StirCrazy:
[QBhmmm, Brad I would have to have a skimmer befor I can put water in my tank :D :D .. I know , I know.. another week. ;)

Steve[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup, another week. But after that, I'll build your skimmer!! :D
Old 04-04-2002, 11:25 PM

Reefmaster is on a distinguished road

brad
hmm, wonder what it would take to entice you to build TWO???
shane aka "my skimmer sucks the hind tit" man
Old 04-05-2002, 01:57 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Shane, I'll give you a call. I can build you a skimmer that you'll love!
Old 04-05-2002, 04:35 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

HQI vs Regular. I would get 250W HQIs... 150W HQIs aren't that much more cheaper. Its expensive...but the colour is unbelievable. This is important if you want to keep non-brown, green or orange SPS. Colours like blue and purple do better in HQIs than Iwasaki.

As for how much light does SPS need....there are a couple of papers on reefs.org that explain this in greater detail. PAR doesn't give you all the info if you really want to optimize your lighting for corals. This is because some corals prefer different wavelengths -- PAR doesn't take this in to account. Also, corals can adapt to the availble light energy...which makes your job even tougher.

- Victor.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:00 AM

Seaquest is on a distinguished road

I would think that the coral selection you keep would give you some type of guidline for the appropiate light required. Many corals found in aquarium stores were removed from various levels of reef walls, in which the coral itself selected for its best rate of survival on that reef. The hardist problem with reef keeping is is ballancing out a lighting scheme that will suit many types of coral varieties from different geographical areas. SPS, LPS and Leather corals all require different light schemes and water parimeters so the best way to guarintee your reef tank survival is to try and keep corals from one geographical area and only keep those corals fround in that area in your tank. The problem comes from trying to keep many varieties from different countries under one roof. You'l find thousands of articles all over the internet from many proffesional reef keepers on lighting with the there own views of what works for them and there tanks but take it with a grain of salt and judge what works for your own tank. Read Read Read and read.

Happy reef keeping [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2002, 01:12 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Great advice, SeaHunter,
but where do you go from there? Much of the published data available is old. Most people (myself included) are not aware of where,exactly, their corals actually came from, and what the light requirements that they came from were.
Deep water corals, Trachyphyllia, for example, have somewhat blue light spectrum light requirements, and yet people seem to insist on putting them under very bright, white, lighting.

Mitch
Old 04-05-2002, 06:01 PM

Hi

Finding what light and what intensity has always been a problem in reef keeping, as you mentioned how does one know were there corals came from?, well I would think that if your local reef store had a Fiji shipment you would try and read up on the geographical reef types found of the coast of the Fiji islands. This type of information would probably be found in Oceanography /ecology books at your local libray. I find it fustrating that writers don't give much information on parimeters of reef regions when there talking about corals from a specific region, they mainly write about there own reef tanks. Fiji is a big place with deep and shallow reefs but to try and pin point were your species came from on either type of reef is almost imposable unless a study has been done and reports written.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2002, 06:55 PM

George is on a distinguished road

In the last issue of Advance Reef Keeper online magazine, Eric Borneman gave us some clues on collection locations of some of our corals.
BTW, based on the article, I am very concerned about large quantity of elegance being collected.

George
Old 04-06-2002, 09:06 AM

Hi George

Yes! Elegance corals removed from any reef in large quantities will and does have a detramental effect on its future populations. Trying to manage collectors in foreign countries that have no environmental regulations or enforment agencies is a big problem. I'm still wondering why after 12 years of repeatedly telling collectors that Gonipora is not a sutable specimens for reef tanks because they just eventually die off, that they are still being shipped. and now we see them coming in a variety of dyed speciemens which is absalutely idiotic.

Cheers