Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 AM

High tide is on a distinguished road

I think I know the algae you are talking about. It only seems to grow in the absence of an effective herbivore, ie: refugiums and such. It seems to be quite tasty and usually does not proliferate in an aquarium with good herbivores. An emerald crab would probably go to town on it.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:06 AM

JPotter is on a distinguished road
Default algae

Thank you for the input. I don't think I have "dead zones" as I don't see debris accumulation and my rock set up is very open. My clowns have arranged my sand from zero to 1.5" depending on the area. I have the impeller return pump, a Nano propeller and a Koralia 1 propeller. The propellers are on separate timers to allow for (set up) varying patterns of chaotic flow. I scraped a lot of the algae off with a dental scaler (worked like a charm) and sucked up what I could catch with a baster (didn't work so well). I agree the tubastrea will be an ongoing issue. I plan to have extra water made up so I can transfer it to a small fresh bath to feed it..then through out the bath water and return the tubastrea to the main tank. It sounds cumbersome but once a routine I think it might work. What do you think? I also put in an Emerald crab but haven't seen it since the first evening The porcelain crab seems very content