Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Coldwater is on a distinguished road

This is my beast. I am currently in the process of building it up to build the ultimate surf/dive/camping base. Are there any other Cruiserheads out there?

Matt
Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Hey VFX. I have also tended towards the German cars and have driven all the brands at one time or another. My rebuild will be done by myself and a buddy of mine who is a tech at MCL and also does alot of custom VW/show car stuff as well. He is very talented. I dealt with Weissach at one point and liked the folks there. However, they were expensive and tended to charge book rate. I moved over to Scan Automotive in North Van and was quite happy with them. But having a buddy who can do it for me will save me a bundle on labour which would probably be 80% of the cost. We are also going to do some customizing during the process. We have had the intake and valve covers powder coated and we will use alot of nice stainless fasteners. Upgrading all the vacuum line to silicone and I have made some custom gauge faces and am upgrading some of the cabin lighting to LEDs.

BTW, love the boxsters. it's a great roaster. Have you driven the Cayman? I got to drive a Cayman S on an autocross course and it was a blast. Then had a professional race driver take me for a lap to see what it could really do :-)
Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road

hey Ron

Sounds like your 928 is gonna be real nice!

You're so lucky having a Porsche tech as a buddy. If I had that I would probably save myself at least $1000 a year!

It's cost me $1200 for a service & fluid change, $1000 for front rotors & pads & $120 for a set of locking bolts already this year and it's only March! But they did give me one of their trucks to drive whilst the work was being done.

My 987 is totally stock. It's probably the slowest car Porsche make (I don't count the truck!) but it's totally awesome to drive. Especially when the sun's out.

I drove the Cayman S & I was blown away. I think with the '09 model being available with LSD it's probably the best handling current Porsche. I'd love to have one but my want for a convertible took over.

Do you go out for Porsche meets with PCA Vancouver or any other club?

Any more Porsche owners on Canreef?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:02 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Hi VFX,

I think the 928 will be great as my friend does fantastic work. If I took it in to a shop I would probably be looking at $1000 to $1500 in parts and $4000 or $5000 in labour. That's just not in the budget right now! I am hoping we won't need many new parts. Depends on how many valves may have bent when the timing belt slipped. But it was idling in the garage when it happened so hopefully its not too bad. We haven't pulled it all apart yet to see.

I also generally order all my parts from the US. Even with shipping etc. it's way cheaper than Porsche Canada prices. When I had to do front brakes 4 years ago I think they wanted $600 or so for each front rotor. I upgraded to the larger Big Red type front brakes by ordering a kit from the US. It was front calipers, rotors pads, wear sensors etc for about USD $1200. Sold the old calipers on eBay for $150 so that offset my costs too.

I haven't really been to many PCA events. Just once to the Whistler get together. I do go to alot of vintage races on the West Coast and I made the trek to the Rennsport reunion in 2007 at Daytona. That was an amazing gathering of Porsche racing cars. I think I took close to 4000 pictures. Rumour has it they may try to bring it to the West Coast in 2010.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:53 AM

Mikee is on a distinguished road

nice rides

Last edited by Mikee; 03-25-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

mmmm Porsche.

still looking for my DREAM DREAM car....1953 BMW Convertible, black with tan interior..

Like this one, but driveable:
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road

Ron - good luck with the engine build. That V8 seems quite complex but it looks like it's in good hands.

Give me a shout if you're headed out to any races, meets or cruises. As long as I'm not working I'll be up for it.

I should look into getting parts from the US more often.

Rbacchiega - That '53 BMW looks fantastic. I also love the 507 roadster from around that era.

I've always loved old Beemers.

I saw these on Granville Island last summer... not quite as vintage but still nice.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM

Pazil is on a distinguished road

Here is a pic of my last toy... Had to sell her to support my reef addiction

Here is the new girl in the family

Cheers
Old 04-12-2009, 09:18 AM

G1GY is on a distinguished road

Daily driver.
Very comfortable, handles decent and it's fairly quick. Crappy pic though.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET A BONG!?!

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

Last edited by G1GY; 04-12-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikey View Post
My 1999 3000GT

Another 3SI owner here. '93 Stealth R/T Turbo. I can't afford a new car so I'm stuck with it.