Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-26-2009, 05:17 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I have enmax and have often suspected that where I save on electricity they gouge like crazy on the "extra's" However, I don't have any solid proof to back that up. Just a general dissatisfaction with utility companies I think.

As for the Halide's, I have my lighting schedule so that the 2 t-5's click on at 10:00 and go off at 22:30, the first of 2 250w halides clicks on at 3 and off at 8, second one runs from 4 till 9. This gives me 4 hours of FULL daylight and 6 hours of lessened daylight. Everything seems happy and growing ok.

How many have done simple things like styrofoam insulation all around the sump? I keep meaning to do it, even have the styrofoam... just one of those things that seems to get trumped by something else!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:28 AM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

Well probably not relavent but still, I have found just pay your bill or move, it sucks but thats the truth. I am planning to leave from Calgary in the next few years, and Ive lived here for 25 years, our mayors a moron, crime is stupid, compared to the old days(im not that old) and enmax steals our money, theres not to much of an up side to live here. And there will be people who try to support our city but bring it on, im very involved and know alot about this city. My only true love for the city now is the Flames.

Back in the good ole days

Last edited by Tarolisol; 02-26-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

I never try to make anyone do what they dont want to ... but answer me this

what other major city would you go to in Canada that you think would be safer - BC and Saskatchewan have some horrific crime rates, Ontario and Quebec are pretty good but then there is the speak french thing mandate in one and of course provincial sales tax in both provinces, so I guess you do pay for a larger police presence. If I ever start to feel that insecure here in Calgary I will just get some personal protection
I agree that crime in Calgary is at a all time high but steps are being taken to bring it under control ( seizure of proceeds of crime like cars, houses etc and lately talk of mandatory 1st degree murder charges for gang killings )

not have a mayor you dont like at some point ? - he is worse than some but better than others. Personally I would like to see Ric McIver run but he does not stand a chance unless Bronco does not against him ... Bronco has a huge war chest of funds

high utility costs - off topic a bit but have friends from Winnipeg and some of them were paying twice our property taxes - not sure their utility costs but I am sure that even if they were hypothetically lower the property tax plus provincial taxes would eat up the difference and then some

You could say we are worse than some and better than others to a varying degree depending on what stat you want to look at

You could say screw it all like some are rumbling in the streets and have a independent Alberta ... probably no income/property taxes at all and Alberta could afford a well funded Police force with no transfer payments to make

And I agree with you on one point ... the Flames are Awesome !

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
How many have done simple things like styrofoam insulation all around the sump? I keep meaning to do it, even have the styrofoam... just one of those things that seems to get trumped by something else!
Was just talking about this with another member tonight. Neither of us do this, but both our tanks stay reasonably warm with much smaller heaters. I just plugged in a 200w the other day, but had no heater on the 210g reef all winter. The corals & fish adapted to a slightly lower temp.

She uses a 300w heater with no problems.

I think just cutting up thick styro sheets & duct taping them to the sump would cut down on the heat loss tremendously.

Anthony
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24storm View Post
I called enmax yesterday and locked in on the easymax plan and they told me it goes into effect the next day. You may want to give a call and check they actually answer phones there to. I think i was on hold for all of 1 minute.

Keith
where you already with enmax? cause i switched from epcor and it definatly said it would be 5-8 weeks total

as far as calgary goes, i do hate the snow and winter and thats my main reason to want out of here but on all other subjects i dont think it will be any better anywhere else and your dreaming if you think it will be
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I never try to make anyone do what they dont want to ... but answer me this

what other major city would you go to in Canada that you think would be safer - BC and Saskatchewan have some horrific crime rates, Ontario and Quebec are pretty good but then there is the speak french thing mandate in one and of course provincial sales tax in both provinces, so I guess you do pay for a larger police presence. If I ever start to feel that insecure here in Calgary I will just get some personal protection
I agree that crime in Calgary is at a all time high but steps are being taken to bring it under control ( seizure of proceeds of crime like cars, houses etc and lately talk of mandatory 1st degree murder charges for gang killings )

not have a mayor you dont like at some point ? - he is worse than some but better than others. Personally I would like to see Ric McIver run but he does not stand a chance unless Bronco does not against him ... Bronco has a huge war chest of funds

high utility costs - off topic a bit but have friends from Winnipeg and some of them were paying twice our property taxes - not sure their utility costs but I am sure that even if they were hypothetically lower the property tax plus provincial taxes would eat up the difference and then some

You could say we are worse than some and better than others to a varying degree depending on what stat you want to look at

You could say screw it all like some are rumbling in the streets and have a independent Alberta ... probably no income/property taxes at all and Alberta could afford a well funded Police force with no transfer payments to make

And I agree with you on one point ... the Flames are Awesome !

Hmm. Guess we dont rate in there anywhere. And we have the cheapest hydro rates of anyplace.

Anyways, lets not get to political in this thread. Cant change your city goverment on a reefing board forum.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Hmm. Guess we dont rate in there anywhere. And we have the cheapest hydro rates of anyplace.

Anyways, lets not get to political in this thread. Cant change your city goverment on a reefing board forum.
I did not forget ya unless you want to add Manitoba onto the crime stats and the high property taxes ( I think I mentioned that about Winnipeg already )

― Voltaire
Old 02-26-2009, 03:27 PM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I did not forget ya unless you want to add Manitoba onto the crime stats and the high property taxes ( I think I mentioned that about Winnipeg already )

Quoted for truth. $5000/year was what I was paying before I moved. Highest car theft rates too.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM

spreerider is on a distinguished road

Victoria is a great city, low crime rate and not too expensive compared to other large cities, Its almost warm all year and only snows for 3 or 4 days every year. People keep flowers in their gardens all winter :O
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
Quoted for truth. $5000/year was what I was paying before I moved. Highest car theft rates too.
That is double my property taxes ... at that point what is a few cents more per kwh in the big scheme of things

― Voltaire