Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 PM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

I cross shopped the Sharps after hearing all the praise from others, and honestly I wasn't at all impressed with them. I much prefer the Samsung LCD's over the Sharps. Also 120Hz is best if you watch a lot of sports, but for movies 60Hz is still best.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:15 AM

whiteice669 is on a distinguished road

I have the 42" d64 slim line and just love it
aga 180g dual overflow 77g sump, mak 4 return, dart pump for closed loop 3 250w se 15,000k mh, 4 80w t5 250 vertex skimmer,3l vertex zeo reactor, marine tech cal reactor.regal,powder brown and yellow tangs, chromis eyelash blennie blue mandran, slowly filling with SPS
Old 02-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

So after going there last night I was very unimpressed at the picture quality. The picture looked pretty grainy, and sitting there beside non 120hz tv's the picture was just not up to par which is weird. Ive always wanted the samsung 6 or 7 series so I think ill save up abit more and get that.

Pretty disappointing...

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I've never been a friend of the Sharp series. If you ask some of the more experience Futureshop guys they'll tell you nothing in the store beats their 7 series Samsungs.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM

Dobber is on a distinguished road

don't watch TV watch a gorgeous reef tank

EQUIPMENT:
2 Model 3 Megaflow Sumps
Octopus Pro Series
Lifeguard UV Sterilizer 22 watt
Coralife Aqualight Pro 250 watt
Tunze Wavebox
4 Upgraded Maxi Jet 1200's
90 lbs live fiji 100 lbs shelf and spaghetti Eco Rocks
Old 02-03-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
don't watch TV watch a gorgeous reef tank
Cant I have both

Yea have always loved the 7 series samsung. Now if I only had money for the 9 series, lol.

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

sharp is one of the most innovative companies when it comes to LCD.
they damn near invented them.
One of the first companies to incorporate it into a home entertainment application and THE first to commercially produce an LCD (remember those blue lit calculators?)

I'd buy one of the aquos in a second, especially the 120hz ones.
You cannot get a good feel for tv to tv comparison unless they are dialed in the exact same way and operating off the exact same feed, even then different tvs will display differently which is not indicative of quality.

I worked at soundsaround in Calgary for 2 years, so I do have some general knowledge of what we tell you to buy certain things.
Future shop might not get commision, but believe me, the reps wil motivate with hockey tickets, free merchandise and the like for selling more of their units.

NEVER believe a salesman, no matter how much you like what they have to say.
Trust me, we're all crooks.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:35 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
I'd buy one of the aquos in a second, especially the 120hz ones.
You cannot get a good feel for tv to tv comparison unless they are dialed in the exact same way and operating off the exact same feed, even then different tvs will display differently which is not indicative of quality.

+1 to both of these...

Your best bet would be to find a store that sells Sharp, Panasonic, and Samsung and compare similar models. Find one with a picture you like or features you like, and buy that one.

Contrast ratio isn't really a 'myth' as such but is overused as a rating of how bright the picture is. The contrast ratio isn't really how bright the image is, it's the difference between the brightest white and the darkest black... And there is no true black on LCD screens, because even when all the pixels are dark some light leaks through. Specially if you are at an angle to the screen...

I personally would look for one with really REALLY dark blacks, and with minimal colour shifting when viewed at an angle. LCDs are quirky that way, because of the tiny moving crystals in the display... Can't wait for OLEDs to take over in a couple years. Maybe
Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

yeah, it's 100% personal opinion.
Don't let brand or price point dictate what appeals to your eye.
you have different eyes than the salesman, and will probably use your tv differently from him, so wtf does he/she know?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post

Well I would assume its getting the same feed since all the TVs on display are showing the same picture. Or at least the same row of TV's should be getting the same feed.

You should of heard the sales guy pitch for it and how he excused why the picture quality was so grainy? He asked me to stand back 10 feet and then said it looks much better from this point. Of course you cant see the grains from that distance but it shouldnt be like that anyways. I can stand 2 feet from from the samsung 7 series and see no pixelation on it.

Anyways Im sure this TV is pretty good, but after looking at the samsung series there is no compairson in my mind.