Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 PM

spoot is on a distinguished road

You can also try feeding them micro pellets designed for fish fry. Not sure if they can catch up to the food if the flow is too high in the tank, although there has to be slower flow areas and that's where they will amass.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:14 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

fish larvae don't like prepared foods (whiich are often too big). i would be very surprised if it ate them. rotifers are usually seen as mandatory in clown breeding. good luck either way.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:24 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
two things i see wrong with this picture: a) you don't mention eggs. all damselfish (clowns are damsels too) are egg layers. b) damselfish larvae are planktonic. that is, they spend some time in the water column before settling down and staying near the rockwork... at this time they are very easy to kill and would more than likely just be fish food. they would not hatch out of eggs and go live in the rocks right away.

are you sure these aren't invertebrates like amphipods? or copepods? mysis even?
Maybe its different in tanks?

I had breeding damsels in my last tank and the larvae acted very much the same as what this poster is saying. Straight to the rockwork. Actually I never even saw them in the open water. They used to get eaten by all my predators right away, so none actually lived but the parents were still quite busy every few months

Oh and they were certainly little fish...not some kind of inverts. It wasn't too hard to tell.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:52 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

If you did want to try rearing the fry, I would siphon them off and put them into their own tank.

On that note, I wouldn't worry about it if you don't want to try rearing them... few if any will make it to adult hood... most will become food for the other organisms in the tank (fish, filter feeders etc.)
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road

let em spawn, healthy tank obviously!!!!!! just more fish food for the others.!!!