Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 PM

gbeef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gbeef

Yeah id say tap water is your problem cyno will stay if there is too much nutrients in your tank. If you have a sand bed, Photophate has probly soaked into the sand and rock. It will take a coupe months for it to clear up. Using consititant RO-DI water changes.

-you need to manage your cal and alk level for coraline to grow.
-Snails you need to slow drip accumlated them.

-POD's really only reproduce if you have a fuge. I wouldnt worry too much about this because once you add fish there toast anyways.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeef View Post
I don't agree with this. If your adding 10% new water every week the tank will have plenty of goodies for coraline. I use Instant Ocean and I am good about my water changes and my tank is a coraline factory.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
I don't agree with this. If your adding 10% new water every week the tank will have plenty of goodies for coraline. I use Instant Ocean and I am good about my water changes and my tank is a coraline factory.
Doing waterchange essentially is managing your calcium and alkalinity levels provided your waterchange water is sufficiently balanced which may mean dosing your waterchange water to make up for what your salt is lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaney
Message received loud and clear. Stop using Tap Water and Get a RO/DI.

Hi Myka,

I will give you the results to my calcium values when next I go into my LFS. I had to leave but he said he would test it straight away. I am not using any additives, but let me double check that measurement before we go into it further. So purple up is snake oil eh? I kinda figured.

I was planning on trying to do that with my hydrometer but its nice to hear you confirm it. I will definitely double check it regardless.

Lastly, thanks so much for putting up those stickies and the Library. I have read them all.

I have just got a lid for my tank so Hopefully I wont have to do as many water changes and it will therefore make lugging RODI water around a little more manageable. This will work until the summer when it will likely be too hot to use.

Please don’t anyone feel afraid to be frank or blunt. If someone had been from the start then maybe I would have budgeted for a RO/DI unit sooner.

Thanks again guys, I will keep you posted.

Jon.
You are very welcome, I am glad you read all the Guides. That should have given you a bunch of useful information. The lid will only prevent some evaporation, but it won't lower the number of waterchanges you will need to do. You are right though, it will likely get too hot to use the lid in summer. Purple Up is definately snake oil imo. Looks like you're headed in the right direction now!

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:26 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
....too hot to use what? RO/DI water? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
....You are right though, it will likely get too hot to use the lid in summer. ...
Riiight. The lid. hehe .
Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 AM

jslaney is on a distinguished road
Default Right Sorry

Right, Sorry,

I meant top ups not water changes.

With the lid I wont have to top up water as much. This will make lugging RODI water a little more manageable.

Thanks again guys.