Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-13-2003, 09:15 PM

Nullig is on a distinguished road
Default Water Topoff

Has anone ever tried suspending a bottle of topoff water upside down right at the waterline to provide topoff during weekends or holidays away from your tank?

Noel

This is a LOCAL reef, for LOCAL people. We\'ll have NO trouble here.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

That is sort of the principal of the Nurce system, and there are some DIY links available on the net. Search for "nurce" water topoff", "reef diy" etc, and you find it.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:43 PM

Nullig is on a distinguished road

The "Nurce" doesn't really work that way, it's a siphon... and it's no longer available (guess they couldn't patent the idea).

Noel

This is a LOCAL reef, for LOCAL people. We\'ll have NO trouble here.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:16 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's still kind of basically the same idea. When the water level is high enough to cover where air would enter the topoff reservoir, no more air can enter, thus no water can exit. When the water level drops below that point, air can enter, and thus water can exit.

To be honest, it's a neat idea, but I tried to go this way once (a sort of DIY "Nurce"), and I found nothing really worked to my satisfaction ... I'll take a float valve over a siphon/gravity feed any day.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

To be technical (and maybe anal) the Nurce works exactly the same. It just has more parts.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:06 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

My Nurce sucks so bad it is sitting in a corner and Barry is topping off with a jug every night....it just kept losing siphon all the time.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:30 PM

Jack is on a distinguished road

Tony said it best. Float valve.

I know you can get the Kent ones at J&L for something like 26$. This is what I will be doing shortly as I'm using the "jug" technique right now... which btw sucks.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:19 AM

Tman1973 is on a distinguished road
Default Water Topoff

Hey Guy's

I just made a topoff last week. All I did was run to the hydroponic store and pick up a water float valve for $12 and a small bulkhead with a nipple on the end for $2.

Drilled a hole in the botton side of an old salt bucket, installed the bulkhead. Mounted the float valve in my sump, ran a small airline between the two and wella.

It's working great and all I need to do is fill the 5 gallon some RO water and I'm set for about a week with my current rate of evaporation.
I'm toying with the idea of puting a mini jet in the bucket and a bit of Kalk to keep up my levels. I'm just not sure if the float valve will clog up.

The whole thing is simple and it works well.

Trev
Old 05-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Just a guy..

Float valves work great, but remember; if you don't have a sump, they can be intrusive in a display tank....