Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 AM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Default pesky anemones-100% kill rate

equipments needed 9 to 18 volt battery(portable power tool battery), 18 gauge 2 strand wire, 2 alligator clips to connect wire to battery terminals, toggle switch, wooden dowel or plastic tube. expose wire ends and apart one eighth inch. jab into pests and switch current on for 2 to 3 seconds. SIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZLE
took up this method from reefcentral and i electrocuted every single bleeping
pests in my tank well except for a green mojano and a brown and purple tipped one. i left this two alive since i find them somewhat pretty and knowing i can zap them if they run rampant again.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:09 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferious View Post
equipments needed 9 to 18 volt battery(portable power tool battery), 18 gauge 2 strand wire, 2 alligator clips to connect wire to battery terminals, toggle switch, wooden dowel or plastic tube. expose wire ends and apart one eighth inch. jab into pests and switch current on for 2 to 3 seconds. SIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZLE
took up this method from reefcentral and i electrocuted every single bleeping
pests in my tank well except for a green mojano and a brown and purple tipped one. i left this two alive since i find them somewhat pretty and knowing i can zap them if they run rampant again.
Ok so i follow you for the most part, but what is the wooden dowel or plastic tube for, you wrap the wire around it to make a "poker stick"? This will not zap your inhabitants? Do you have a link for the RC thread?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:18 PM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Smile anemone killer

fyi you strap the wire alongside the rod with wire end extending 2 inch beyond which enables you to shape wire to reach any tank area, yes even inside cave. electrical current will only flow between the eighth inch exposed wire ends which are buried inside things you want nuked. i cleansed my tank 3 days ago and i have not noticed any change to inhabitants. when i have time i will go back to reefcentral and check link.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:50 AM

saltwater-virgin is on a distinguished road
Default Kalk and CBB

I've used a kalk and water slurry administered with a needle with good success. Drop it on their mouth and they eat it up.

I also had a copperband butterfly (RIP) that did a great job.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:47 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric eel View Post
what do the shrimp eat after the Aiptasia is gone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by awa1979 View Post
My peppermint shrimp will eat krill, plankton, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp. .....
...and newly budding Aiptasia. They help keep them from coming back.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:35 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

100% success with peppermint shrimp. Try two, acclimate them very slowly and drop them in the dark.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:01 PM

baker_jeff is on a distinguished road

Why in the dark? I picked up two the other day and put them in during the day...
Old 01-01-2009, 06:16 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker_jeff View Post
Why in the dark? I picked up two the other day and put them in during the day...
Because even a fish that would never attack any shrimp in the wild may attack a shrimp(or a very small fish) as you drop it in your tank. The fish thinks you are feeding it.
With the lights off this won't happen and the shrimp scurries safely into the rock.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM

baker_jeff is on a distinguished road

Ah yes I see. Luckily my two little guys are doing great!
Old 01-01-2009, 06:44 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Peppermint shrimp are not an option for me since my large puffer would eat them in a split second. I have one shrimp but he went to my overflow and is now hiding in 120pounds of live rock in my sump.

I don't know if it is breeding season for aiptasia or what... but I suddenly have a pretty serious outbreak. Of course they are on impossible to reach places, and I know I am in trouble here.

I know I can take the rocks out, and soak them, but these little buggers hide so well I know I won't get them all. I also have so much like in my rock and I don't want any die off. I also have over 200 pounds of rock in my display... All stacked into tunnels and caves which I will never be able to get this way again if I touch it. It took six hours or more to get it like this...

What do you do when there is a big issue with this pests? I am thinking I will have to take the rock out piece by piece and hope I can get the pests with lemon juice when they pop up in some salt water in a boucket. I have the chemical which I would use outside of the tank. I have tried to nuke the odd one in the display but my fish always come up to my hand and I don't want them burned.

I notice the lemon juice in the needle has not worked on the ones I just tried to get within my reach. I keep staring at the problem, and think I have to reserve myself to more invasive and time consuming methods. What have you done?