Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Have to agree with Steve there, my nano never cycled, I had livestock in it instantly so it is possible to avoid a cycle depending on how you do things. Also with the DSB, you may want to list some of the negative consequences which come after time, most people who go with a DSB regret it later. Beside in order to get the benefits of a DSB you need a carbon source and unless you're adding it manually you tank likely doesn't have it.

You need to be more clear on that the information you're providing is opinionated and instead of telling people how to do it maybe just try and provide information and tools to assist them. Tell them about your experience and what you find works best. Also if you ask for feedback don't get so defensive when you get it. If you want people to take you seriously you'll have to drop that high ego and defensive attitude.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

also blogs seam to be backwards from the way stuff is entered, so it looks like your putting water in befor you even look at the equipment.

I think the lighting section needs to be revamped, trying to group LEDs MH and T5s togeather doesn't work as they are still very different lights and intensities, SPS will grow under a NO bulb if you saet it up right, so saying you need this or that isn't realy accurate with out more explanation.

you could talk about Floressents and then go through the types starting with NO, VHO, PC, T5
then talk about HID and there different sides and types,
and finaly mention LEDs

I still have not seen anyone with a sps domanated tank using LEDs only or have heard no feed back at anyrate, so I don't even know if I would mention this in a newbe guide.

Are you doing advanced or newbe, you don't need a phosban reactor, heck they wern't even invented untill my tank was running 5 years already, do I have one... yes, do I use it no.. I am converting it into a CO2 reactor for my fresh water planted tank.

for flow wiseI would say for a SPS tank 20X flow rate is to little, that would be a min for a softy tank. IMHO, for SPS 50X would be a min, but how are you making that flow how much is through the sump or do you even have a sump as a choice?

Also getting back to the advanced/newbe you start talking about all this other stuff Zeo, ect... Keep it real simple, tank, lights, flow, skimmer, and some way of maintaining Ca, Alk, Mg ect.. ,mention that you can dose them as required, then mention that a Ca reactor and Kalk can work, if you go right to the advanced stuff it will discourage a lot of people because of the work involved and the cost. there are ways to have very low maintenance tanks that are very nice.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
also blogs seam to be backwards from the way stuff is entered, so it looks like your putting water in befor you even look at the equipment.

I think the lighting section needs to be revamped, trying to group LEDs MH and T5s togeather doesn't work as they are still very different lights and intensities, SPS will grow under a NO bulb if you saet it up right, so saying you need this or that isn't realy accurate with out more explanation.

you could talk about Floressents and then go through the types starting with NO, VHO, PC, T5
and finaly mention LEDs

I still have not seen anyone with a sps domanated tank using LEDs only or have heard no feed back at anyrate, so I don't even know if I would mention this in a newbe guide.

Are you doing advanced or newbe, you don't need a phosban reactor, heck they wern't even invented untill my tank was running 5 years already, do I have one... yes, do I use it no.. I am converting it into a CO2 reactor for my fresh water planted tank.

for flow wiseI would say for a SPS tank 20X flow rate is to little, that would be a min for a softy tank. IMHO, for SPS 50X would be a min, but how are you making that flow how much is through the sump or do you even have a sump as a choice?

Also getting back to the advanced/newbe you start talking about all this other stuff Zeo, ect... Keep it real simple, tank, lights, flow, skimmer, and some way of maintaining Ca, Alk, Mg ect.. ,mention that you can dose them as required, then mention that a Ca reactor and Kalk can work, if you go right to the advanced stuff it will discourage a lot of people because of the work involved and the cost. there are ways to have very low maintenance tanks that are very nice.

Steve
As per the 20x flow rate part etc....there was actually a few articles in various reef magazines (which i will attempt to find) that suggested how much flow was not nearly as important as how it was actually flowing.
When it comes to this hobby we think we know a lot, when we really know very little. (I mean everyone including the ``experts`` I think even the RC chem guys have stated more than once they really have no idea on the actually chemistry of a saltwater aquarium...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy View Post
As per the 20x flow rate part etc....there was actually a few articles in various reef magazines (which i will attempt to find) that suggested how much flow was not nearly as important as how it was actually flowing.
When it comes to this hobby we think we know a lot, when we really know very little. (I mean everyone including the ``experts`` I think even the RC chem guys have stated more than once they really have no idea on the actually chemistry of a saltwater aquarium...
yup, both are very important, thats why a lot of though goes into how to set up flow in the tank. but a good compromize is to stuff as much flow as you can with out blasting anything, so lots and lots of dispursed turbulant flow.

I had about a 120X turnover in my 94 gal, but you could put your hand anywhere and it was just a gental flow which also kept stuff in suspension which is the key.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

Since we are talking about flow here, would you all recommend the Red Sea WaveMaster Pro / Maxijet Powerhead Package - Regular http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wm...-+Regular.html for extra flow in a 90 gal.
this would be on top of 2 Hydor Koralia - 4 Water Pump (1200 GPH)
Old 12-19-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Hey relax man, no need to get ****ed here, no one is is putting you under fire. You asked for comments and now people are giving you comments and your blowing up at them. All because and I'm going to say it Sphelps posted something and your got right offensive about it because you didnt like it and you don't like him. As you stated. people here who posted are giving thier opinion how to better it. That is it. if you didnt want any feedback then dont ask for it. You know darn well that there are people on this board that will have snar remarks and posts things what are right out of it jsut to get people going. keep the blog going and may be PM some of us who have been in the hooby and ask their advice and thier input.

They will give you 100% of their attention to look at it I can promise you that. or mai it to one if the Mods that is one of the reason why they are here. EXPERINCE.

mike
Whats a hooby?
I thought the mods were simple poor people with no lifes who volunteered to be babysitters...go figure

Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
yup, both are very important, thats why a lot of though goes into how to set up flow in the tank. but a good compromize is to stuff as much flow as you can with out blasting anything, so lots and lots of dispursed turbulant flow.

I had about a 120X turnover in my 94 gal, but you could put your hand anywhere and it was just a gental flow which also kept stuff in suspension which is the key.

Steve
Yep, good points.
Same reason I have a huge flow through the sump, it was desinged and partitioned for it

Old 12-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy View Post
I thought the mods were simple poor people with no lifes who volunteered to be babysitters...go figure
Uh, yup, pretty much dead on....
Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Banned

dabandit is on a distinguished road

Quote:

and finaly mention LEDs

Steve

Some good solid advice I totally agree about the lighting section. This blog ended up so long I didn't really want to go into detail on anything, rather put an idea in their head they could then talk to an lfs or reefer about it,i'm allready getting complaints about the length. I wanted to merelly point out that they could use the cheaper light on fowlr and softies,but would need something stronger like t5,halide or even l.e.d(which nano reefers use for sps). I will have a go at rewriting it for I totally agree with you I dropped the ball in the way I worded much of the blog.
Thanks for looking
Would it kill you to click a sponsor link lol
Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

dabandit is on a distinguished road

I worked with some suggestions I got from here and a few other sites and added some eye candy. I tried to adress everyones concerns and reworded the parts in question. Thanks for lookingwww.reefbuilding.blogspot.com
Closed Thread