Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 AM

FlamesFan is on a distinguished road
Default Buying glass in calgary?

I currently have a 90g display and am looking to custom build a 4x4x2 cube, so im looking for the best place to get glass from. Specifically I am looking to get 4 of the face panels of the tank in starfire glass. I've dealt with chinook glass in the past for non-aquarium related stuff but im not sure if the can get starfire. Before I start yellow paging it I figured id post this and see if someone has a place they'd recommend me to. Thank guys.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Bow Valley Aquarium

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 12-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Glass shops worth their salt should be able to get low-iron aka Starphire ("Starphire" is a brand name IIRC, there may be other brands who make low-iron glass as well). At least .. what I can tell you is I've dealt with Glass Guild in the past, and noticed that they can sell Starphire.

But yeah BVA can also set you up with glass. They might have a spare piece lying around .. or two.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

If you want your glass cheap I'd recommend BVA. I wanted my glass PERIOD and even that proved to be near impossible. I'd find myself camped outside the shop with the same people a few days in a row/on weekends sharing scraps a certain someone fed us whenever he was answering his cell phone. I made nearly 10 trips before I was able to get all my glass.

My personal favorite was when this someone promised one of my fellow campers he was on his way to give us our glass. Then I called after waiting over an hour with this guy and we were told he had to rush a worker to the hospital because he had cut his hand badly on some glass.

We were at the shop. Nobody was working lol!

I eventually got my glass but it required careful cellphone tag between us guys waiting outside the shop over multiple days to get it. In the end I was about to be stood up again and said leave the glass outside. Only 1 piece was missing when I went to get it.

Gas is also cheaper now so you might not mind making 10 trips...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Jay180reef is on a distinguished road

I don't know why, but glass shops are always puzzled why I would just walk in and expect to leave with glass. They don't even take your order before telling you it will take 2-4 weeks to get anything.