Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-13-2008, 03:48 PM

inkslinger is on a distinguished road
Angry 1st Crash!!!

WTF!!! woke up this morning to find every single fish in my tank belly up !!!!I love this hobby but things like that really urk me! Had to do a tear down sooner or later to swith over to a new 90g setup , but this is ridiculous. Well, back to page one!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:02 PM

Oh we will be fixing it...not getting out that easy, gotta find out why now, too early to do a accurate test??? lots of death...like i said getting into a much better setup this weekend, guess i get a head start on cleaning **** up!!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:05 PM

Question

Really, where to start first, bin in the hobby since 06' and never seen this before...what tests should a person run first...???
Old 11-13-2008, 04:07 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Crashes don't happen to everyone. How old is your tank, livestock, something crashed it....if you want to try to find out what, look for obvious things....ie power shut off to tank overnight or longer and they got cold....etc and then start testing the water.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:28 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
or do you just like to bitch?
Seriously?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Tank is about 2 years old...added a new tang a week ago but he was doing fine, heat, salt...all good. Going to test everything after work. Such a **** off, but what can ya do.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Wow that's a pretty useless post. So are you interested in fixing your problem so it doesn't happen again or do you just like to bitch?
wondering if this is an attempt at critism or really helpful insight, cuz im really unsure!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

If the tank was running that long and the only change you did was add a new fish then there is a pretty good chance that the fish was carrying something. Did you QT the tang before adding it to the system? After adding the tang did it seem like bit by bit the other fish were acting a little less lively. How often do you do a water change, and did you increase feedings in order to get the new tang eating? I once did a water change with a new sponge that was supposed to have no chemicals in it and the next day all my fishes were floating. I ended up getting a hold of the company that made the sponges and they said it is possible that the batch before may have had anti bacterial applied to it and that traces of the substance could have got on to my sponge, but of course they were not responsible. Good luck solving the mystery, and sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:48 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
wondering if this is an attempt at critism or really helpful insight, cuz im really unsure!!!
Some people are very direct - what he may be saying is that "venting" posts aren't productive unless a call for help or advice is included.

Taken with all the posts here, on balance you have a pretty good response. Not everybody is going to be sensitive to your feelings, so don't take it wrong. The idea is to get you thinking and acting, and that was done. Now you have some great advice.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_77 View Post
Some people are very direct - what he may be saying is that "venting" posts aren't productive unless a call for help or advice is included.
Pretty much. Telling us how you feel doesn't fix the issue, if you want help you'll have to tell us a little more information regarding your setup. Tanks don't crash for no reason.
My comment wasn't suppose to be helpful or criticism. Simply a question asking if you're looking for help or just wanting to vent.