Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post

Did your angel only eat sps or did it eat other food as well? Just curious as to why your sps grew back while EmilyB's didn't.
Not "did"...does. I still have her
She eats everything. Her mouth is getting big enough now that when she takes a bite of an sps (actually just the acros) she can remove 2 or 3 polyps, tissue and some of the skeleton. I do have a lot of corals though and she doesn't just pick on 1, she roams the tank picking on them all so there is time for the coral to grow back before she comes visiting again

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
It's okay, I don't mind being beat up for being on the fish-hugger side...I'd hate to be on the fish-abuser side

But remember, I've been there with SPS eating fish, my Moo, the Pakistani butterfly...trust me when they eat the polyps out, they don't grow back....

So where would the fish go next?

Anyway....that's just the way I see it...
Emily, if the SPS are not replaced with more SPS, the fish gets flushed or starves.
But in the meantime they are beautiful pictures, arn't they?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Not "did"...does. I still have her
She eats everything. Her mouth is getting big enough now that when she takes a bite of an sps (actually just the acros) she can remove 2 or 3 polyps, tissue and some of the skeleton. I do have a lot of corals though and she doesn't just pick on 1, she roams the tank picking on them all so there is time for the coral to grow back before she comes visiting again
Oops sorry I knew you still had her not sure why I wrote did instead of does. Thanks for the info. I'm glad she spreads it out so your sps have a chance to somewhat recover before the next bite.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Emily, if the SPS are not replaced with more SPS, the fish gets flushed or starves.
But in the meantime they are beautiful pictures, arn't they?
okay naesco, we got your point the first time you posted. It was a perfectly valid point, but I don't see the point of your posting again unless you actually something else useful to add to the thread.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:09 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't believe anyone thinks this is cruel...jeez.

People get sooooo hypocritical in this very, very selfish hobby. Every single person on this board is selfishly keeping creatures, some of which are in rapid decline worldwide, in small glass boxes for their personal pleasure. Give me a break. The wasted energy and water in this hobby is embarrassing at the best of times and your worried about a single fish being kept in a tank set up specifically for it?

He has grown several colonies of sps for this fish to eat. He has a great tank size relative to the fish and is obviously dedicated to giving this fish a great chance.

Half the people here keep tangs in 65 or 75G tanks and this is a problem?

I think its great what you are doing sphelps and this is exactly why the hobby has come so far and we have the knowledge to keep some delicate species.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

FTS

Old 11-13-2008, 04:05 AM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I can't believe anyone thinks this is cruel...jeez.

People get sooooo hypocritical in this very, very selfish hobby. Every single person on this board is selfishly keeping creatures, some of which are in rapid decline worldwide, in small glass boxes for their personal pleasure. Give me a break. The wasted energy and water in this hobby is embarrassing at the best of times and your worried about a single fish being kept in a tank set up specifically for it?

He has grown several colonies of sps for this fish to eat. He has a great tank size relative to the fish and is obviously dedicated to giving this fish a great chance.

Half the people here keep tangs in 65 or 75G tanks and this is a problem?

I think its great what you are doing sphelps and this is exactly why the hobby has come so far and we have the knowledge to keep some delicate species.
Thank you, I was going to post almost the same points. It's laughable how some people judge who is cruel and who isn't while they sit at home looking into their own box full of life taken from the wild. Get over it, we're all puting animals into a small home for our own pleasure. Do you honestly think you're better than the next guy because your tang is in a 6' tank and his/hers is in a 5' tank? How many fish die to get one that will survive in captivity? I'm guessing with some species, you wouldn't want to know.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:16 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

There is one reason I DO think this is a bad idea though...

That tank is beautiful! Hope he doesn't devastate those nice sps. Even if he does though, it will be a great experience trying to keep this fish.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 11-13-2008 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:23 AM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
There is one reason I DO think this is a bad idea though...

That tank is beautiful! Hope he doesn't devastate those nice sps. Even if he does though, it will be a great experience trying to keep this fish.
Ahh, I'd rather have my SPS tank devastated by that nice looking file fish than AEFW's!!!! Seriously, you could loose it all tommorow with a pump failure or something. Might as well enjoy it!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:38 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

I see the file fish! you have a gorgeous tank steve, I sincerely hope it can keep up. is the file always up and about like that or does it tend to be reclusive?

edit: thought just occured to me. If down the road, the SPS are obviously not keeping up and are receding, would you consider changing your lighting spectrum to 6500K or so to get increased growth? Obviously at the cost of losing the brilliant colours in exchange for brown sticks, as well as a likely horrendous algae bloom. you could probably control the latter with biological control (army of snails and a foxface maybe?)

Last edited by justinl; 11-13-2008 at 04:41 AM.