Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM

geeluk is on a distinguished road

Tom R, I totally agree with your comment which I can relate to my situation. I purchased the Bubble Magus 150 several months ago and used it until very recently I replaced it with a BK mini 180. I probably didn't need the upgrade, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to buy a used one. I can say the quality of the build and production of the BK is in a league of their own, but it is also 4 or 5 times the price of a Magus. The magus worked very well for me and I would have no regrets in using it for the long term. The magus produced more skim then my previous skimmer which was more expensive. On another note, I see that a new mesh impeller will be available for the magus in the near future.

For the value, the magus does an excellent job. If you do not have a budget, get a Bubble king.

Gary
Old 11-06-2008, 07:19 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I was very close to getting a Bubble Magus.

For me it came down to practically a coin flip.

Having the distributor local and having the vendor known to support their products was a big factor.

My Mini BK 180 is much quieter than my Euro-Reef was, however it is not silent as there is a quiet highpitched hum.

For me I was having some nutrient issues and wanted the best skimmer possible. Also I was concerned that if I didn't blow the money on a skimmer it would just evaporate in the stock market anyway.

If I run a tank in the future that is less nutrient-critical such as a FOWLR or a softie reef, the Bubble Magus would definitely be my first choice. And if I were a student or broke the Bubble Magus would definitely be my first choice.

Anyway the jury is still out on this BK, I will see how happy I am with the skimmate in a couple of weeks.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeluk View Post
Tom R, I totally agree with your comment which I can relate to my situation. I purchased the Bubble Magus 150 several months ago and used it until very recently I replaced it with a BK mini 180. I probably didn't need the upgrade, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to buy a used one. I can say the quality of the build and production of the BK is in a league of their own, but it is also 4 or 5 times the price of a Magus. The magus worked very well for me and I would have no regrets in using it for the long term. The magus produced more skim then my previous skimmer which was more expensive. On another note, I see that a new mesh impeller will be available for the magus in the near future.

For the value, the magus does an excellent job. If you do not have a budget, get a Bubble king.

Gary
Since your one of the few than can speak first hand, how's the difference in performance?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:22 AM

geeluk is on a distinguished road

I will update in a few days, I have only had the Bubble King running for a couple days.