Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-25-2008, 08:40 PM

X-Treme is on a distinguished road
Default Anthias for a small(er) tank...

Anyone know if there are any types of Anthias that would be ok to go in a 40 gallon?

38 Gallon Custom Starphire, Remora Pro, 2 Seio 820's, 24" Giesemann Infiniti 1x250W MH + 4x24W T5, 60lbs Live Rock.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:14 AM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

This is from Nanoreef http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74703&st=0

Anthias

For the most part anthias belong in reef tanks of 55g or larger. In some cases you may be able to get away with a single male or female of some of the smaller varieties. Anthias are planktovores and meat eaters. Sometimes in the beginning they can be difficult to get established or feed, but if you are able to get a hold of a hardy specimen, they are fairly easy to care for after that. Keeping them well fed (2 times per day is good) will improve your chances of success with a new specimen. In larger tanks typically you do 1 male with a small group of 2-8 females, all females (one will eventually become the male), or a single male. I have been asked before about mixing single specimens of different species before, but honestly I don’t know the answer to that question. I would imagine it to be ok in larger tanks, but cannot guarantee it. A reef tank is a must for Anthias. Do well in high flow SPS tanks.

-Dispar Anthias (3.7”, 30g min, 55g+ ideal)
-Fathead (Sunburst) Anthias (5", 30g min, 55g+ ideal) (added by Pili)
-Longfin Anthias (2”, 30g min, 55g+ ideal)
Old 10-26-2008, 01:24 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

one thing to remembere, by 55gal + they are talking about one anthias, to house small groups you need 120+. this is one fish that needs more swimming room than a tang.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.