Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-21-2008, 05:43 AM

Kostas is on a distinguished road
Default Is it safe to switch up the salt you use in your tank?

Is it a good thing to switch up the brand of salt you buy for your reef tank?

I’ve been using ‘instant ocean’ salt for years now… was down to one bucket and went to buy more and they were all sold out, so I got two buckets of ‘oceanic salt’.

Now should I mix a little from both buckets when I make up a bucket for a water change? Or just use it till its gone then go back to my regular stuff when it comes in

I think I recall reading about a horror story where someone switched salt brands and corals were dying in their tank due to that?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:07 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Switch it slow, even then you'll probably notice some effects of the new salt, some may be good but there will be bad. Switching salt usually isn't the best idea, especially when you've used one kind for years.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:07 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

I think that if your usinging it during water changes you'll be fine as you are basically doing a slow switch over like that anyway. I also can't see it hurting anything to mix the two dry and do that as well.

Unless of course your doing more than 50% water changes you should be just fine...
TJ
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

On another note I have never used oceanic salt so I don't know anything about it's quality either, so there will be differences in what trace elements it has as well which will probably make the corals react a little at least.....

As Steve said good or bad....
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM

jasond is on a distinguished road

I switched to Tropic Marine Pro from IO, and just switched doing my weekly 5 gallon water changes. I did not notice anything change good or bad with the slow change (other than dosing less )
Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

In the past year I've done 4 switches in salt brands and found no ill effects on my tank. When I switch salts I am doing a 15-18 % water change, so it is mixing with the current salt in the tank.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 PM

jasond is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
In the past year I've done 4 switches in salt brands and found no ill effects on my tank. When I switch salts I am doing a 15-18 % water change, so it is mixing with the current salt in the tank.
So which is your favorite? Why?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:32 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
You're lucky, I've seen tanks crash from this.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond View Post
So which is your favorite? Why?
So the last 3 salts I've used are Reef Crystals, RBS and now D-D aquarium Solution H20 cean Pro+ salt.
I found when I changed to RBS that my corals seemed to look healthier (more color quicker growth) but I did find that the calcium always tested a little low for my liking, so it required some extra dosing.
I have now done a couple of water changes with D-D's H20 Pro + salt and have been liking the little extra calcium in there, other then that it has so far given the same results as when i was using RBS, and with the fact that the H20 salt lists at $ 70 and I don't have to add a calcium dose as I was doing with RBS I can not complain. RBS is a great salt and when I first started using it it was around $ 100 dollars, but it can now be gotten for around $ 85 (cheaper if you buy at JL right now). Like I said though, I like my calcium around the 435 range, and with the H20 salt, I've been getting the 430- 450 range.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
You're lucky, I've seen tanks crash from this.
I know I've been playing a risky game, but the way I've figured it is as long as I was going to what were supposed to be higher quality salts I should be ok. I am impressed with the H20cean Pro + salt right now so am hoping that this is my final salt pick.