Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-17-2008, 04:01 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road
Default 150w HQI Bulb Suggestions?

Added a 150w HQI pendant to my tank, it's a Coralife Clamp-on fixture. Right now there's a 14k (coralife brand) bulb in there, and it looks decent, just not enough blue for my liking.

I'm out of the loop, who makes a nice 150w 14k? I hear a lot of good things about Hamilton's and Phoenix?? I'm looking more for colour than intensity, so 14-20k would be fine.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I saw a Phoenix when I was in Calgary this week and it looked pretty nice. Not sure where they got it though.

I have purchased from a guy on e-bay for both my tanks...lo cost and I've been happy with them. Here is a link. http://stores.ebay.ca/Trust-Deals-Lights

Hope that helps.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:56 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

See this thread:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42545
Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

I bought 2 geissman 12k looking for a fair compromise between blue color and par and I wish I'd gone with phoenix'

they are a really nice bulb and have fantastic par/dollar value....
Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM

Nazerine,

Interesting, I am aware of the lack of UV protection. If I have to stick with Coralife bulbs, then so be it.. but knowing me, I'll have a piece of glass cut either way. Seems like a good way for Coralife to have you purchase their bulbs only!

Was the glass hard to put into the fixture? Getting it under the grill might be a challenge? Anyways, I'll keep this in mind, not too worried about it.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:58 PM

Alright, so apparantley the Coralife bulbs are UV protected, the little guard that comes with it is a splash guard, not a UV guard.. I am becoming a little worried about UV spilling into the tank and into my family room. So much conflicting advice, but if Coralife says the bulb is UV protected, then I guess I go by that.

Anyone know where I could get a piece of glass cut to block out the UV?? I'm not really willing to take any chances and would like the freedom to upgrade to different bulbs.

Last edited by OCDP; 10-17-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:18 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP View Post
Nazerine,

Interesting, I am aware of the lack of UV protection. If I have to stick with Coralife bulbs, then so be it.. but knowing me, I'll have a piece of glass cut either way. Seems like a good way for Coralife to have you purchase their bulbs only!

Was the glass hard to put into the fixture? Getting it under the grill might be a challenge? Anyways, I'll keep this in mind, not too worried about it.
Aha, you have asked the right guy! As you know, the grill is actually removable. Both ends of the fixture you can pop out the plastic end cap, and slide the grill out. Now, the other nice thing coralife was so nice to do, was have mounting pegs at either end of the fixture, so you can install a second fan.

I ended up buying two sunon maglev 3000rpm fans that run @ 6v, 40mm. I can get the part number when I get home. Incoming voltage is 12v, so it works nicely have 2x6v fans = 12v, no extra wiring, wall warts, or under powered fans.

I never actually finished the mod though, it was tough to get a glass shop to order me such a small piece of tempered glass. (Maybe I will check a few places today .. hmm hmm!) I just kept running the glass top on my nanocube, and it really helped with evaporation.

The only reason I wanted to use tempered glass is for the sake of higher heat rating. Glass shop guy said 3mm glass should be good to 165C...

My bulb is about due to be replaced ... My thoughts were....

I'm either going to buy a corallife 20k bulb

OR

Find an old broken 24" fixture, cut it down to fit my tank, retrofit the 150metal halide into it, run a 10k bulb, and retrofit 2x8w actinics into it... I have a feeling it will end up going the DIY route
Old 10-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

my fixture was is a coralife aqualight advanced and the bulbs were 20k coralifes and making the switch to the geissmans about 2 months ago has only given me better color and growth....
Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 AM

brutus187 is on a distinguished road

i just upgraded to phoenix 14k 150w bulbs yesterday. I had coralife 20k bulbs for the longest time and got nearly 0 coral growth. Colours were good but no growth. I'm liking the phoenix bulbs better already - a good mix of blue.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:49 PM

cainer is on a distinguished road

I have had the 14k 150w Phoenix on a 30 gal for about a year. Really intense blue. I put a Digita and a Monti Cap in about 1 week ago and have already seen about 5mm growth on both...

You can get it on marinedepot.com

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...y=FILTBUMHDEHW