Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-18-2008, 05:10 AM

Dale is on a distinguished road

I'm not worried

T, I wasn't questioning your experience, just noting that the numbers didn't equate to the specific problem. There isn't anything wrong with being careful and if it is easy and gives piece of mind to beef things up then it's all good but this type of question arises fairly regularily and for most tanks of that size there is no problem.
I can't recall the last time I've heard of a floor collapsing because of a non custom aquarium actually. I'm sure it has happened somewhere but if it was that close a call I'm sure there would be more incidents.

This week I have serviced a 230G., 300G., 150G., 140G. and a 135G. tanks; all on joisted floors - no collapses so far.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:45 AM

kaboom is on a distinguished road

After having a closer look at my floor, I realize the joists run parallel to the proposed tank placement. This could be a problem right? Let me refresh the scenario again. Tank is situated along a load barring wall above the garage where there is a supporting joist and beam that lines up right in the middle of the tank position. The floor joists however runs parallel with the tank. The optional teleposts is no longer an option. I am now considering a 125g tank instead of the 180g first thought. Without additional support, can I just wing it with a 125g.