Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-11-2008, 08:47 PM

tikkle is on a distinguished road
Default Maui Ocean Center

Just got back from Maui yesterday....I already miss it. Got some pictures from the Maui Ocean center to share.

Last edited by tikkle; 10-20-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Colby82 is on a distinguished road
Default Shark Tank

Here is that huge tank.. but what the inside looks like.. it was my wedding present from my new wife to go swim with sharks.. weird, isnt it...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 PM

jasond is on a distinguished road

Wow looks nice!! Sounds like you would go again? My Fiance and I are looking at going to hawai/Maui for our honeymoon, anything you can recommend???
Old 10-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Colby82 is on a distinguished road

i am going again in december, it will be our 5th time.. i would rent a house with full kitchen.. if you look on www.vrbo.com they have some places on there.. if maui.. stay near kihie and wailea.. they are closer to the airport. but any where on the island is unreal.. and the shark dive was amazing.. almost better then the ocean.. you dont want to see sharks in the ocean! and a great car rental place on maui is called Aloha Car rentals.. its owed by people from BC,. and insane cheap compared to budget etc.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:02 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby82 View Post
you dont want to see sharks in the ocean!
Yes you do. There might one or two types that you wouldn't want to bump into unexpectedly, but other than that diving with sharks in the ocean is awesome and something I would recommend to anyone capable of putting aside unrealistic fears.

Lemon shark...Tahiti. Don't you just love the little pilotfish stuck on his nose?
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 10-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

There's really not that much not to recommend. Ie., I think it's all good!

One suggestion, go out and find this book: http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html

I never regretted anything I tried out of that book. And some of the things are things you'd never be able to find out about unless you say knew a local who could take you places. Like, finding a waterfall you can swim in "just past the mile 8 marker on highway such and such"..

It will also lay out where all the good beaches are and where the good snorkeling spots are and so on.

Maui Ocean Centre is a very well done aquarium. Get a week's pass and go several times. It's small for a public aquarium but it's really well done. Also plan on a dive or snorkel at Honolua Bay. If you stay at Kihei it's a bit of a drive and you might be tempted to think "ah, but there are so many other wicked snorkeling spots closer" and while that's true, I've heard Honolua Bay is one of the best spots on the island. I missed out on a chance to go there, I won't let that happen again if I ever make it back there.

Oh and .. everyone tells you to watch the sunrise at the summit of Hale'akala. It sure is pretty for a sunrise, so it's sort of worth doing at least once (whether you find it's worth doing more than once is up to you.. I know some people who go to Maui every year and watch the sunrise at least once, and I know others who are like "Meh .. I did it once, I don't have to do it again." So your mileage may vary). If you DO go, and you're staying in Kihei .. LEAVE EARLY. The sun rises at something like 6:30 am, I left Kihei around 3:45 am, and *barely* made it up to the summit in time. And I got a lousy spot because of the crowds. As you get closer there is a fair amount of traffic. And dress warmly, it's cold up there in the morning (single digits on the day I was there).

But if you do go, go again during the day because the crater is really neat during the day. You can also rent a bike and ride the highway down the mountain. Sounds like wicked fun to me. Worth looking into IMO.

have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond View Post
Wow looks nice!! Sounds like you would go again? My Fiance and I are looking at going to hawai/Maui for our honeymoon, anything you can recommend???

Last edited by Delphinus; 10-17-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:32 PM

jasond is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info guys! Sorry, I did not mean to highjack, sounds like everyone loves it though. I appreciate the links for car rentals/places to stay/things to do, I will check them out for sure! Definately have snorkelling on the "to-do" list, and I will check that book out as well Tony.

Cheers!