Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road
Default Schooling fish

So I'm trying to find a good schooling fish for my reef tank. I had 8 Blue Chromis, but after 2 years there are now only 2 of them, and I found that for the most part they didn't really school. I just picked up a couple of Zebra Dartfish and they seem to be hanging out together at the moment, so does anyone know if they continue to school after becoming comfortable in the tank? Right now I'm leaning towards 8-3 inch Anthias, but would like some suggestions. My tank is a little over 125 gallons (five feet long).
I like the purple Queen Anthias, but heard that they are tough to keep so may go with lyretails.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

i've tried many times to get schooling fish and i realized that they will school at first and at the pet stores because they have fear. When the fear subsides, they will stop schooling. Schooling for fish is an instinctive behavior to survive when there is a threat or fear for their safety. After being in your tank for weeks and months, they no longer perceive any threat and they will stop schooling. Put a predator fish in with your schooling fish and then its a different story.........
Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't recommend anthias at all as they simply do not last long in our tanks.
The queen anthias has an especially poor survival rate.

Why don't you try a school of cirrhilabrus wrasse. Choose the species of your choice.
Remember that you can only have one male and the rest must be females. You will have to put a special order in for the females as the males are the ones that are commonly imported.
Wayne
Old 10-01-2008, 01:32 PM

sandyd is on a distinguished road
Default schooling fish

Have you thought of glass cardinals? Colby usually has them, I've had a few for quite awhile and they tend to stick together.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:13 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

If you do go the Anthias route you'll probably want to treat them for internal parasites. Parasites seem to be pretty common with Anthias of all kinds.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM

TheRealBigAL is on a distinguished road
Default Schoolin fish

My good friend WHATIGOT has a school of chalk Bass in his tank. Very nice looking fish. I think he has 5-7 in his 72Gallon. Just have to watch because they can sometimes be jumpers.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Lee View Post
i've tried many times to get schooling fish and i realized that they will school at first and at the pet stores because they have fear. When the fear subsides, they will stop schooling. Schooling for fish is an instinctive behavior to survive when there is a threat or fear for their safety. After being in your tank for weeks and months, they no longer perceive any threat and they will stop schooling. Put a predator fish in with your schooling fish and then its a different story.........
Fish school in my tank! LOL

But they have to avoid being eaten by my 10" grouper (He has eaten a few in the past month)

I think your right on about why most fish don't school in aquariums. I had some chromis before the grouper and they used to fight constantly. After adding the grouper, the chromis have stopped fighting and school along with the damsels and coral beauty. They really stick together now in a very strange looking group! No more aggression once the predator was added.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 10-01-2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBigAL View Post
My good friend WHATIGOT has a school of chalk Bass in his tank. Very nice looking fish. I think he has 5-7 in his 72Gallon. Just have to watch because they can sometimes be jumpers.
Yeah great little fish but they do jump very often. I had three in my last tank. One was eaten by a puffer and the other two jumped.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBigAL View Post
I will have to check on Chalk Bass, anyone know if they are easy to keep and how large they get (can't find much about them online, they might go by another name), I have managed to pick up 4 Zebra Dartfish (with plans to get 8 more), and they are currently schooling, so it looks like i will not have to try anthias, but Chalk Bass look cool to, so may have to get them as well.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 PM

TheRealBigAL is on a distinguished road
Default Chalk bass

Chalk Bass Serranus tortugarum (dwarf seabass)
Max length - 3.1 inches
Range-Tropical western atlantic

Very peaceful fish. It is better to keep them in odd numbers ex. 3, 5, 7. Best kept in 70gallon and up.