Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 AM

gkersten is on a distinguished road
Question skimmer adjustment question

I have had my skimmer working well for 6 months . ASM g5 does a good job but I have little to compare it to . My question is do you want the skimmate to be very dark brown and dry as possible or more yellow and wetter. This is obviously variable depending on the water flow adjustment to the skimmer but what advantage is there over a dryer or wetter product
Old 09-29-2008, 02:26 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

I may be off here, but a dryier skim is more of the nasty stuff, while it allows more benefical stuff to pass by. One thing for sure is that with a drier skim you empty the cup less and a wetter skim your doing it much more frequently.
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 09-29-2008, 05:57 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSlayer View Post
I may be off here, but a dryier skim is more of the nasty stuff, while it allows more benefical stuff to pass by. One thing for sure is that with a drier skim you empty the cup less and a wetter skim your doing it much more frequently.
+1 you want the skimmate as nasty as possible.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

Also keep in mind that the skimmate contains salt water, so the more you empty it the faster your salt levels will drop in your tank.

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 09-30-2008, 01:43 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

If you want to remove more phosphate and nitrate skim wetter (yellower). Dry skimmate generally produces a lot of baby 4hit in the neck of the skimmer whereas wet skimmate gets it into the collection cup. The dry stuff in the neck continues to contact the water column and hasn't been effectively removed.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Skimm wet , empty cup often is a way to go