Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 PM

m_wonnacott is on a distinguished road

Well since i plan to buy my ro/di water from a distributer for the first while I want to be able to test the quality of it so I am getting the TDS meter.

With regards to the skimmer aren't the two you listed in sump models? I don't have a sump so if so can't use them.

I have not heard any issues as of yet for my stock list over on reef central and have actualy had it confirmed as ok already by a few people. I assure you I have done plenty of research and all fish will be put through a one month- six weeks QT period with a max of two fish at a time being added so there will be a month -six weeks between additions to the DT.

Ya mops is more local to me thats why I chose to go with them plus there prices were good.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_wonnacott View Post
Well since i plan to buy my ro/di water from a distributer for the first while I want to be able to test the quality of it so I am getting the TDS meter.

With regards to the skimmer aren't the two you listed in sump models? I don't have a sump so if so can't use them.

I have not heard any issues as of yet for my stock list over on reef central and have actualy had it confirmed as ok already by a few people. I assure you I have done plenty of research and all fish will be put through a one month- six weeks QT period with a max of two fish at a time being added so there will be a month -six weeks between additions to the DT.

Ya mops is more local to me thats why I chose to go with them plus there prices were good.
I'd suggest buying an Aquasafe RO/DI unit off ebay, for the price of the TDS meter and bottled water you can have your own RO unit. I bought a TDS meter to use with my RO/DI unit but since it always reads 1 ppm I stopped using it.

Tunze makes in-tank skimmers which I believe can also be run in a sump. Deltec makes both in-sump and hang-on skimmers I believe. Anyway I'd get a used $400.00 skimmer for $200.00 instead of a new $200.00 skimmer.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 AM

I may look into the used skimmer but never have seen either of those brands for an HOB used in my area. Also I have the RO/DI picked out that I will be getting the distributer RO water is just for a month or so till I get the extra money.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:45 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Clean up crews are in a way just Phoshate cicling criters.
What i mean is that they do eat algae but then they poop this out in form of Po4 remaining plants us it as food and cicle starts over.
so you might consider investing in Two Little Fishies Phosban (Phosphate Removal) Reactor Po4 reactor form day one, so you will have a good protection from the get go.

Here is good read on how to control Hair Algae in first place
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44473
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 AM

i have actually beeen considering ordering a phosban reactor with the rest of the equipment to help prevent some of the algae since this tank sits in our living room and is the first thing you see when you walk in our door. Also the added fact that I am sure the hubby would rather not have an algae filled tank.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:24 AM

jasond is on a distinguished road

I think the phosban reactor is a must, mine has more than paid for itself. Definately helped more than some of the equipment I have bought along the way. Just my 2 cents.

Jason
Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Deleted incorrect post
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge