Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 PM

Brent F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP View Post
Just sucks that it will constantly be present in the tank, waiting to attack if the fish becomes weak.
That's where the cleaner shrimp many people are recommending come in. If the fish feel the parasite they swim up to a cleaner shrimp which removes the parasites. The shrimp become an in tank "swim in clinic" for the fish to go to when sick. The cleaners eat the ick during one stage of its life cycle keeping it in control.

If there aren't enough parasites for the cleaner shrimp to eat they switch to eating fish food.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent F View Post
That's where the cleaner shrimp many people are recommending come in. If the fish feel the parasite they swim up to a cleaner shrimp which removes the parasites. The shrimp become an in tank "swim in clinic" for the fish to go to when sick. The cleaners eat the ick during one stage of its life cycle keeping it in control.

If there aren't enough parasites for the cleaner shrimp to eat they switch to eating fish food.
I understand. I have kept cleaner shrimp before and had ick, and they did not do a thing. I am sure many are hit and miss. Perhaps I will go grab one.. my pop's sure seems to enjoy the shrimp most anyhow. If it works, that would be great.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP View Post
I understand. I have kept cleaner shrimp before and had ick, and they did not do a thing. I am sure many are hit and miss. Perhaps I will go grab one.. my pop's sure seems to enjoy the shrimp most anyhow. If it works, that would be great.
If I wasn't already at the airport I could have loaned you my cleaner wrasse to try out.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 AM

Danny is on a distinguished road

I went through a huge ick problem after I started adding fish to my new tank. I tried a couple of different so-called reef safe remedies and did nothing. The best thing I did was (as above) purchased 2 cleaner shrimp(which are 2 of the most comical creatures in my tank) and a cleaner wrasse. Try to find a cleaner wrass that is eating reg. food. Maybe I got lucky but mine is going strong and no sign of ick since. Good luck, Damn this hobby is addicting!!