Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta

Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 AM

rdnicolas is on a distinguished road
Default Complicated tank move. Need some Help

Hi everyone, I purchased a tank from a very nice reefer (Prokolec) who is located in Calgary and I need some advice/help on how to safely extract his tank and move it to my house in Edmonton.

I've been discussing the move with a local company called Wingenback who have moved tanks in the past and they have given me a quote of nearly 3000$.

The tank was purchased from Arek (Pokolec) several months ago with the agreement that I would take it when my basement development was at a point where it would be ready for it. And I wish to extract the tank from his home within the next 2-3 weeks.

The obvious dilemma is that the move cost is more costly than anticipated so I was wondering if any reefers had experience moving such a large tank and were willing to help me. I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for your time and efforts.

I figure that the move would require at least 9 people (6 movers+3 backup spotters) x 2 as the tank is very large and heavy 7'x2'x40" & 900lbs.

Alternately, I'm considering ripping the tank and moving it out in pieces. Has anyone done something like this and how successful did it work when it was put back together?

The plan is to have a crew from Calgary help extract the tank and move it into a cube van that I will be renting. I'd drive the tank up to Edmonton to another group who will help move the tank down my basement.

What I will need is someone with a truck c/w a long winch with at least 100-150' of length that is rated for the tank weight and then some (say around 3000lbs-5000lbs).

at least 6 or so suction cups which I may be able to rent out

Big strong reefers or freinds of reefers who can lift 150lbs

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and thanks in advance!

Reggie
Old 08-21-2008, 05:11 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

no experience with that big but if thinking of getting the professionals, read the fine print as they can break your tank and still walk (see here). Should be able to help with the heavy lifting on the Edm end if going with amateurs.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the heads up Mark I never even thought about that... I'm wondering if taking the tank apart is the best and safest way to go for a tank this big.....
Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

There was a thread on Alberta Aquatica about taking a large tank down. I'll see if I can find the link. It went fairly well until they did something by mistake and cracked a panel. They used light fish line to cut the silicone, after they pried off the mouldings. If I recall correctly.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 AM

Thanks hillbillyreefer! I'll try searching for it as well.

Reggie
Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Sorry can't find it. Need to go to bed now, I'll look tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

I took the back piece of glass off a 330 g 84x30x30 with double euro bracing and it took me 40 hours. It would get quicker after the first pane was removed.

I can round up some help and that you can hire (as I won't touch the liability on this one sorry) probably half your man power if you want it and throw in my old muscles on the Calgary side.
Kevin
Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 AM

omg 40 hrs for one pane? how long total time to completely take apart?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

??? only replaced the back piece.
Kevin
Old 08-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I cut apart my 7x3x2.5 400 gallon with the help of the buyer and it took us maybe 3 hours it I remember right. We used only razor blades and it was really tough work. The eurobracing really slowed us down.