Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-31-2003, 11:58 PM

kgb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kgb
Default new tank advice

hey guys i currently have a 20 gallon tank with a skilter and 2 power heads that pump 197/h gal each.i also have it running un a 175 watt 10k metal halide.i want to start a new tank and am looking for some advice and second hand parts. i was think of either a 50 gal or a 33 gal tank and using my 20 gal i have now as a refugium.(or maybe a 33 gal refigium on a 50 gal tank). i want to have it mostly a sps tank with a few softies and zoo's and some lps and clams. i waswondering what would be the best lighting would be( would i have to use new lighting or could iintagrate my 175 watt metal hailde). the reason i am asking you guys is you possible could help me and gie me avice on cheap alternatives. btw i am poor
what i have sofar other that what is mention above is (or soon ) is 2 and a half bags of sand from johanthon..... thats bout it.
i have a 90 gallong tan kbut i dont see me affording this as a new tank so i have chosen to go smaller . after seeing ajs 50 gal i think i light the 50 gal idea the best

but yeah any advice or help from you is very appreciated
and i know my spelling is horrible so sorry bout that
Old 04-01-2003, 01:13 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

if you get a fairly shallow tank (18" or something like that, maybe a 48 gal or 54 gal) you could just throw another 175w MH over it and that would be that. the bargain finder has a few 175w setups in it right now, i bet you could haggle for a good price. r_wellwood has that berlin classic for sale, that would probably be a good skimmer. get yourself some pieces of glass and turn your 20 gal into a sump/fuge. would be a rather small fuge (maybe 5 gallons), but it would get the job done i think. my sump/fuge tank is a 50 gal and in the end the fuge only takes up 17 gal.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906