Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-27-2003, 05:24 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default anyone know anything about car audio?

I am looking to upgrade the speakers and maby add a amp to my truck, it is a newer model ford supercab so it has four 6X8's in it.

the speakers I am looking at are Rockford Fosgate HPC2268 6X8's and the amp is the Rockford Fosgate 500X

any one used Rockford befor? any opinions?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:45 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

if you go with the said setup you wont be dissapointed! very good stuff...
it will sound amazing!~
Old 03-27-2003, 04:42 PM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

Yep i agree, i've used Rockford for about 10 years very nice stuff. Them and Boston Acoustic are all i buy.

Clinton
Old 03-27-2003, 06:35 PM

FishGeek is on a distinguished road

Instead of going with all 6X8's, use component speakers. they will sound a 100% better with that kind of power going to them. I'd use 6" separates in the front and maybe if you are a little handy, modify the rear speaker opening to accept 8" subs. This configuratiopn should give you very good sound with the abilliy the play it pretty loud with minimal distortion.

Simon
Old 03-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello,

If you want the best configuration, you'd do this:
1) Put components up front. This can be either all in kickpanels, or the mids in kicks, and the tweeters in the A-pillar base aiming to the opposite passenger.
2) Put 8" on your door, and build a ported enclosure for it. Make sure it's properly tuned.
3) Tri-amp the tweeters, mids, and 8". Then time-align all 6 speakers for the driver. You also need to correct for volume due to the distance. Afterwards, you can RTA the setup for a proper spectral balance.

For speakers, I recommend Focal and amplifier PPI or better. On your front end, you also need to pay attention to your source. For a more economical setup, Audio Alchemy makes great DAC and jitter reduction devices.

One thing I almost forgot, rip out any speakers coming from the back.

Titus
Old 03-27-2003, 07:11 PM

Hey Titus, I think he wants to keep the price down and not interested in competitions. If I had the money, your configuration does sound good. But I would use Xtant amps instead of PPI and use a JL audio stealth box for a pair or trio of JL10w6's. Do you have a similar setup in your car?

Simon.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello,

He can try similar setups with lower grade components but install himself. This can allow him to save a lot of money and achieve a good result as well.

I don't like the pre-built box as it doesn't offer much flexibility. For amplifiers, you can use any good ones. It doesn't have to be exclusively PPI, which I suggested because of their great current ability.

I uses 8W6 up front.

Titus
Old 03-28-2003, 12:38 AM

hey, thanks for the replies. I was out looking at speakers the other day as i had heard that 6.5" componants would be better, you know what, the 350.00 componants didn't sound as good as the 249.99 6x8's. I imagin if i was going to put subs in then the componants would be better but for no just the speakers are going in.. later a amp. the 6.5's just didn't make enuf base..

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 03-28-2003, 01:53 AM

Which shop did you go to? Unfortunatly I find that most shops do not set up thier sound boards very well. Therefore resulting in very poor sound. Which 6.5's were they? Of coarse the 6X8's are going to sound like they have more bass because of the bigger surface area.

Simon
Old 03-28-2003, 02:45 AM

Actualy I went to about 6 shops hehe, was a long day especialy when you can hardly walk

I was listining to a few different set ups, eclipse, rockfords, and a few others I can't remember at the moment as I decided on either the rockfords or the eclipse. like you said in a previous post I am trying to get the best sound I can on a budget, I will be doing the speakers soon, then later I will add a amp. then I might looking at adding a custom sub box with one sub in it being driven off its own amp.

I did have a line on a set of used Rockford componants for 200.00 (they were almost 700.00 new) but I was a day to late to get them.

Steve