Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-04-2008, 03:04 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef
Default Wiring a GFCI Powerbar/Remote Outlets

So, I don't want to change the outlets in my apartment (I rent and am not authorized to do so), but I want several GFCI outlets at my disposal nonetheless. I know I've seen them for sale at Canadian tire, but they're expensive and only for a single outlet.

Can anyone explain how EXACTLY one would wire a GFCI powerbar or remote outlet(s)? I'm looking at a friend's thread on RC (3/4 of the way down the page) and can't really make sense of it.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 PM

kdpuffer is on a distinguished road
Default gfci powerbar

I read the thread and its easy to do you would need to buy a few things some you may have send me an email and I can lay it all out for you
k.d.puffer@gmail.com
Old 06-04-2008, 04:56 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What I would do is buy an electrical box that you can fit a plug in. It can be metal or PVC. Put a GFCI outlet into this, and mount it in your stand. The "upstream" wiring will just be an extension cord that you plug into your wall plug.

If you need additional plugs, you can wire them in series (ie. one after the other) and then they will all be GFCI plugs. Or just plug in a powerbar into the GFCI plug.

I'm not sure I can explain it very well in a post but this would be super easy to do. If you want I can help you put it together.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Brent F is on a distinguished road

As an aside, does anyone know how to determine which plug on a curciut is upstream of another? I'm wondering because I want to add another GFI and since they protect all downstream plugs I'd like to stick it on the first plug if possible.

I know it is usually the one closest to the panel but that doesn't help for this room.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 PM

kdpuffer is on a distinguished road

well that's easy but can be a pain turn off the breaker in the panel take the plugs off one at a time till you find the plug that when taken off cuts power to the rest of them it helps to use s lamp or radio for this even better is a voltage detector like you see mike holmes using on holmes on homes in which case you take them all off and then test each wire till the tool beeps at you or you can write down the panel info and go to home depot and get a gfci breaker if you want further info I am an electrician send me an email k.d.puffer@gmail.com
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM

pjoziasse is on a distinguished road

As an alternative to replacing a regular outlet with a GFCI outlet (requiring you to turn the power off at the circuit breaker), you can purchase a GFCI protected power bar (I got mine from Rona) that you simply plug into a regular socket. Mine has four outlets on the power bar which are all GFCI protected. This gives you a minimum of 15 amps protected by the GFCI, assuming there is no other current draw on that circuit.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I looked for GFCI powerbars at Rona....which one did you buy, specifically?

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
I looked for GFCI powerbars at Rona....which one did you buy, specifically?

I found a Noma 4-outlet GFCI powerbar at Can Tire. Can't remember the price but very reasonable. (minimum 15 amps)
Old 06-05-2008, 01:14 AM

pjoziasse is on a distinguished road

The one I bought only has the label "Pro-Power" on it - yellow with black handles on either end, test and reset buttons, and a master power on/off switch. If I recall correctly, it was around $40.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:38 AM

iansfishy is on a distinguished road

I spent 50 bucks and bought the Noma GFCI power bar and two really good Noma eight outlet power bars had them for a couple months and never had a problem