Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-30-2008, 06:09 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road
Default Wavemaker Question

So I'm starting to consider my new tank build but I have a question... Has anyone used a wave maker with the 'Herbie' style silent overflows? My last tank had the Herbies but because i had two overflows I figured a wave maker wouldn't work (in order to keep the overflows silent you have to match their flow with the output of your return pump. A wave maker would cause the flow in the overflow to be more random thus, I believe, you wouldn't be able to match the flow constantly???) but I'm not certain. I'm almost tempted to build a small tank (maybe 30 gallons or so) just to try it out because learning by trial and error can be quite costly with a big tank. So thats my dilemma. Any thoughts?

P.S Just a thought but maybe a closed loop system would be the way to go.(Achieve random flow without an actual wave?) the 'sway' of a wave is pretty nice though.
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.

Last edited by Skimmin; 05-30-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 AM

PzReefer is on a distinguished road

You could design your overflow in the center where the wave height is minimal at best. I love my Wavebox for all its effects but I to had to move my overflow to the center of the tank.