Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Apparently it only applies if you drink hot liquid from these containers. Cold or warm liquids are apparently harmless.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 05-24-2008, 08:01 AM

SATELLITE is on a distinguished road

i heard that if you freeze the water in the bottle and will let out what ever chemicals that are in the plastic which can cause cancer. but really it doesn't matter now a days everything causes cancer...
Old 05-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

I used to drink out of a water bottle that gave me a mouth condition that is hard to describe. Not open sores or anything, but just a lousy mungy discomfort. Primarily of the gums. I thought I just wasn't washing it thoroughly enough. When this public warning came out I checked the bottle. Number 7. Aha! Needless to say, I don't have that bottle anymore. If in doubt, throw it out.

Cheers,
Old 05-24-2008, 03:39 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

canada is banning use in baby bottles for now, research i think in england or somewhere else could only extract about 10 mg of bpa under extreme conditions and found a babys safe daily intake of bpa is 250mg
so i guess if you baby drinks 250 liters of boiling liquid id be worried
im quite shure canada is just making a big deal right now so they cant be blamed for doing nothing later if testing doses show its harmfull, its been around a long time aand its in almost everything so im not gonna worry
Old 05-24-2008, 11:37 PM

Brighteyes_13 is on a distinguished road

plastics have not been around that terribly long... maybe 60 years ish... and look at the amazing swell of cancers that are being diagnosed all over our country. we think we live longer now due to all our advancements, but what about all the diseases we have now that were never mentioned before that. we can thank medicine for extending our lives, whether healthy or dying.

wouldnt you rather be safe than sorry? so many ppl say that "everything nowadays causes cancer, so why bother" but if you do nothing then you dont at all decrease your chances.
and for those who say "you only live once" wouldnt you rather be able to enjoy that time, rather then spending it suffering from a painful cancer?

besides the cancer issues is the recyclability of plastics. glass can be recycled into new glass, but what happens to plastic?

by no means am i saying worry over what you cannot change, but why not make the simple chages that can make your life potentially more healthy (and enjoyable)

Starting new setup as of Oct/16
Old 05-25-2008, 12:32 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

better quit eating caned foods too then
Old 05-26-2008, 05:46 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
canada is banning use in baby bottles for now, research i think in england or somewhere else could only extract about 10 mg of bpa under extreme conditions and found a babys safe daily intake of bpa is 250mg
so i guess if you baby drinks 250 liters of boiling liquid id be worried
im quite shure canada is just making a big deal right now so they cant be blamed for doing nothing later if testing doses show its harmfull, its been around a long time aand its in almost everything so im not gonna worry
First off your units have to be WAY off, 250mg is more than half a pound. IMO it calls in to question everything else you have to say there.

As a matter of fact the US just did a study similar to the one that Canada conducted and some interesting quotes from the report are:

"There is some concern for neural and behavioural effects in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures"

"the possibility that bisphenol A may impact human development cannot be dismissed,"

The US report stopped short of recommending that the use of BPA be banned but I think you can hardly say that there is nothing to be concerned about. It makes more sense to avoid something that you think might be causing problems than to continue using it because you aren't absolutely 100% sure it does. Especially considering that there are many effective alternatives available.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:08 AM

WhoPoopWrasse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
First off your units have to be WAY off, 250mg is more than half a pound. IMO it calls in to question everything else you have to say there.
No, his units are not off at all, I think you have yours mixed up though!

250 mg is equal to 1/4 gram and not 1/2 pound! 250 g is more than 1/2 pound...

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/sho...user=4356&sl=w
Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoPoopWrasse View Post
No, his units are not off at all, I think you have yours mixed up though!

250 mg is equal to 1/4 gram and not 1/2 pound! 250 g is more than 1/2 pound...
Oh good lord, I was thinking grams when I wrote that, don't I look silly.

I still think even mg sounds pretty exaggerated though.