Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 PM

BigA is on a distinguished road
Default New to reefing.

Hi everyone!! BigA from Edmonton here. I am new to reefing and this board and I have some questions. I have recently started what will be a reef tank eventually. 29gal tank, 30x12x18. Eheim 2224 canister filter, Coralife Aqualight PC's- 130W. Hydor Koralia 1 powerhead - 400 g/h. Salinity level of 1.023.

On this past Saturday I purchased 11lbs (Couldn't afford to do more than that at the time. Will be purchasing about 20-25lbs more) of Tonga LR from the LFS. Brought it home and through it in the tank. Over the first couple of days, I watched as it turned a bright white. Haven't seen much for hitchhikers, other than a few bristleworms (I think). Now the rock is turning kinda of a rusty brown color. Not fuzzy or anything. Just turning a gross brown. Is this a problem issue? Or just part of the curing process? Any other recommendations for me as I progress?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 PM

angelfan is on a distinguished road

Welcome BigA,
Sounds like your just in the curing process. As the tank stabilizes the first stage will be brown stuff EVERYWHERE but don't worry as every tank goes through this. Also the quality of the live rock will help with the wait. I don't know where you got your live rock but I think I know. Try the place that I pm'd you as it is now my source for LR and it is usually the best in the city for cost and quality. It will take a while, but with a stable system and good water quality, your coralline algae (purple stuff) will cover the rock, and even the tank walls. With any system testing is important, but it is much more so in small set-ups as things happen a lot faster, and nothing good happens fast in any tank. Don't worry though as I started with a 20gal and still have it. I think people should learn with a nano (small tank) as you learn faster, with less losses and costs. Good Luck and Happy Reefing

Greg
Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 PM

Ok. Glad to know that it is just part of the curing process. I'm looking forward to when I can put some livestock in the tank. This has been a very rewarding process so far and the best is yet to come I think. I'v already learned so much that I didn't know about when I comes to SW.

When would be a good time to put in a clean up crew? I'm thinking for it I am going to have 20-25 snails and the same number of hermits.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

welcome to the board.
I would seriously consider ditching any media in the cannister filter (if you want to use it for flow, no problem) and getting a protein skimmer once you have all your LR you want.

The cannister will work great as a temporary filter, but unless you clean the media weekly you may find it causes more water quality issues than it solves.

Enjoy the cycling process, you can learn a lot about the ins and outs of your tank and it's biological balancing act by observing all of the changes you will see.

Also, look on the classifieds and see if any locals have some extra (cured) LR, it's usually anywhere from 3 to 5 bucks/Lb when you buy "used" LR and that'll save you enough to help you buy a moderate skimmer.

cheers and welcome.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:45 PM

The only media I have in the canister is a sponge. No carbon or ammo chips or anything else. As far as a skimmer goes, I have been planning on picking one up, just haven't decided on which one yet. Thanks for the info and welcome. I will keep a closer eye on the canister filter to see what happens.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

I had a 36 gallon tank as my first reef and my set up was almost identical to yours.
I found that when I had a sponge or floss or anything like that in my cannister I got Algae galore and high nitrates, even after large water changes.
As soon as i took all the media out and just packed it with LR rubble, my tank became very self sustained.

only my experience and yours of course may vary.
cheers.

If you're getting Algae blooms, add some snails...
It's always debatable as to when you should add the cleaners but I have had good results adding them slowly, maybe not all at once.
I also don't like hermits too much anymore, really fun to watch but expensive in their snail shell stealing mandate.

Last edited by Whatigot; 04-24-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:58 PM

I might have to go pick up some rubble. That sounds like a good idea. You are right about the hermits. Their need for new shells could turn out to be an expensive propositon. Could a person buy some larger empty shells from somewhere and put those in as an alternative for the crabs? I've seen bags of shells at michael's for a couple of bucks before.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

I have a 20 gal with 4 Margarita Snails, 2 Turbo Snails, 1 Emerald Crab, 2 Stripped Leg Crabs and 1 Mystery Crab (similar to the Emerald).

I almost think I have too many and do worry about them getting enough food. Becareful and start very slowly.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
I might have to go pick up some rubble. That sounds like a good idea. You are right about the hermits. Their need for new shells could turn out to be an expensive propositon. Could a person buy some larger empty shells from somewhere and put those in as an alternative for the crabs? I've seen bags of shells at michael's for a couple of bucks before.
yes these shells from mikes are fine just make sure to boil them first. i have 34 g system and in it i have 12 hermits 5 turbo snails 12 margarita snails 2 dovetail snails, the hermits have killed the margs for their shell but only happened twice. i also have a sally light foot 6 shrimp of 3 varieties, a emerald crab. i dont feed any of my inverts at all. if they can catch food when i feed the fish fine but fish poo is fine for all these suckers.

And welcome aboard

PS i would stay away from turbo snails as they are incredibly clumsy. they will knock corals all over the place. just my own experience. the mexican turbos anrt as bad.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Last edited by ElGuappo; 04-24-2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: ps
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 PM

angelfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
I had a 36 gallon tank as my first reef and my set up was almost identical to yours.
I found that when I had a sponge or floss or anything like that in my cannister I got Algae galore and high nitrates, even after large water changes.
As soon as i took all the media out and just packed it with LR rubble, my tank became very self sustained.

only my experience and yours of course may vary.
cheers.
LR rubble only in my can filter too for 3 years and a very stable system (first reef tank) Also I found the same with floss/sponge